Hello Guix! I cannot reproduce this anymore since the machine I used is no more under my physical control and is in production... anyway I'm sure on a HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 the installer image (1.0.0 version) [1] listed the USB media as /dev/sda while I've always observed (and reproducing now on a testing machine) that it's listed as **the last** /dev/sd? device in the list This is **very** important when installing grub, in fact grub installation failed when instantiating my config.scm on the HP ProLiant simply because it was on /dev/sda pointing to the USB media; I had to manually install grub on /dev/sdb to complete the install A couple of questions: 1. has anyone observed a similar issue? 2. what could have caused it? 3. how is the USB media "relocated" to the last /dev/sd? device by the installer? Happy hacking! Gio'. [1] the only custom thing I made was adding "vga=791" and removing "quiet" from the kernel arguments -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures