unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* /var/guix/ banished out of nowhere
@ 2020-09-23 19:12 Abraham Jose
From: Abraham Jose @ 2020-09-23 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

So i was configuring xorg in a minimal install and suddenly my /var/guix/
folder dissapeared (i noticed once i forcefully restarted my system because
xorg didnt detect my keyboard (sudo xinit bspwm being the command in
wuestion)).
How do i deal with this? Is there a way to generate the folder again?

* Re: /var/guix/ banished out of nowhere
@ 2020-09-23 20:10 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-09-23 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abraham Jose; +Cc: help-guix, abraham.esco

I don't think that there is an "easy" way to fix this.  One way to fix
your set up is to use the universal guix installer:

wget https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
sudo guix-install.sh

Then you could run guix system reconfigure config.scm, and that should
solve your problem.

If that doesn't work, you could try building from source (documented in
the guix manual).

If that doesn't work.  Re-install everything.

Best wishes!

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: /var/guix/ banished out of nowhere
@ 2020-09-23 21:31 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-09-23 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: abraham.esco; +Cc: Abraham Jose, help-guix

Abraham Jose <abraham.juegos1237@gmail.com> writes:

> So i was configuring xorg in a minimal install and suddenly my /var/guix/
> folder dissapeared (i noticed once i forcefully restarted my system because
> xorg didnt detect my keyboard (sudo xinit bspwm being the command in
> wuestion)).
> How do i deal with this? Is there a way to generate the folder again?

This is the first time I’m hearing of a problem like that.  Guix cannot
delete /var/guix.  It needs what’s in there, most importantly the
database that tells the daemon what items in /gnu/store are valid and
which of them are not.  Without that database everything in /gnu/store
is invalid.

There is no way to recover from this other than reinstallation of Guix.

--
Ricardo