unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* EXWM: file or program not found, ls
@ 2020-12-31 12:41 Olivier Rojon
From: Olivier Rojon @ 2020-12-31 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello everyone,

I am on GuixSD, using EXWM as my window manager.  Though I really
appreciate the way it works, it seems that it does not find many of the
programs which are required for emacs to function properly.

I would like to, but cannot:

  * use dmenu and see (recently used) programs
  * open dired in a specific folder
  * open a file
  * use run-geiser / geiser / guile / mit-scheme / ...

On the surface, most of these problems appear to be of the same nature:
in many cases, the error message is (translated from german)!

"Searching for program: file or directory not found, $PROGNAME", where
$PROGNAME is one of the following:

  * ls (in case of dired)
  * git (open a file)
  * guile (run-geiser / guile)

dmenu is a bit different, because while I can start it just fine via
keyboard shortcut, it finds only two programs, "env" and "sh".

I have been asking several times on #guix if anyone can help me, but was
not able to successfully put what I was told into practice.

Essentially, I was told to "source /etc/profile". I tried to do that for
.bashrc and .profile, but that didnt help, because I dont have similar
problems in the command-line/shell, only in emacs.

Then I was told to "source /etc/profile" from a file such as .xinitrc /
.xsessions, which I tried but which also didnt work because gdm stayed
in place via the system configuration (there has been a helpful HOWTO by
Alex Kost, which I might try as well if nothing else helps).

Before writing, I have experimented with the (extra-arguments '("source
/etc/profile")) in the (xorg-configuration), but this led my system to
not start anymore, so I rolled back.

Any help or pointer is greatly appreciated. I hope I have provided the
necessary information, otherwise feel free to ask.

Thank you guys in advance, so far I am stoked by how great a community
guix is, and how awesome guix itself is :)

Greetings,

Olivier

* Re: EXWM: file or program not found, ls
@ 2021-01-02 14:17 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2021-01-02 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Rojon, help-guix

Hi Olivier,

What's your login shell?  If it's Bash, did you edit ~/.bashrc by any chance?

The default file contains this snippet:

if [[ $- != *i* ]]
then
    # We are being invoked from a non-interactive shell.  If this
    # is an SSH session (as in "ssh host command"), source
    # /etc/profile so we get PATH and other essential variables.
    [[ -n "$SSH_CLIENT" ]] && source /etc/profile

    # Don't do anything else.
    return
fi

# Source the system-wide file.
source /etc/bashrc

You need to source /etc/profile if you want the environment variables
like PATH to be set properly.

You can do this from ~/.bashrc as is done in the snippet, or from other
files such ~/.profile or ~/.xinitrc.

Hope that helps!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: EXWM: file or program not found, ls
@ 2021-01-02 21:56 ` Vladimir Sedach
From: Vladimir Sedach @ 2021-01-02 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Rojon; +Cc: help-guix

Olivier Rojon <o.rojon@posteo.net> writes:
> Any help or pointer is greatly appreciated. I hope I have provided
> the necessary information, otherwise feel free to ask.

The first thing to verify is that your login shell configuration
(.bashrc or .profile) is set up with the proper PATH, etc. The
defaults are.

> Then I was told to "source /etc/profile" from a file such as .xinitrc
> / .xsessions, which I tried but which also didnt work because gdm
> stayed in place via the system configuration (there has been a
> helpful HOWTO by Alex Kost, which I might try as well if nothing else
> helps).

It is a little suspicious that gdm does not load the defaults for a
session. What happens if you create a new user and try to log in as
that user?

To configure the X login session, file is ~/.xsession and it should
be set to be executable. Almost all X Window System distributions and
session managers are set up to use this file (some of them require
the file to be executable), and I assume gdm does as well (I run
slim-service-type as my session manager on Guix System).

Here is what my ~/.xession looks like:

. ~/.profile
. ~/.xinitrc

Instead of repeating the environment variable setup (sourcing
/etc/profile, etc.) for X, you can source your shell configuration
file.

.xinitrc is there to load any X specific configuration (keyboard,
etc) and to start the window manager.

Note that this is not Guix or EXWM specific, it is an X configuration
issue. I use the same .xsession on Debian and OpenBSD (which is one
of the reasons why I use a custom one).

--
Vladimir Sedach
Software engineering services in Los Angeles https://oneofus.la

* Re: EXWM: file or program not found, ls
@ 2021-01-03 15:12   ` Olivier Rojon
From: Olivier Rojon @ 2021-01-03 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

Hej,

my login shell is bash, and I have edited it. Yet, adding the lines you
have provided did not really help the issue.

I have now written an .xsession file which looks like this:

  #!/usr/bin/env bash
. /etc/profile &
. ~/.bashrc &
exec exwm

Unfortunately, this did not do the trick.

There's two things I suspect to be a possible culprit which I am about
to change:

- I had manually defined PATH in .bashrc, which I believe might have
overriden other attempts at defining it (even though it contains :$PATH
at the end)

- I did what is sometimes advised when you install a package, that you
should add the following lines to your shell:

GUIX_PROFILE="/home/hapster/.guix-profile"
. "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"

However, I had not added an "export" in front of "GUIX_PROFILE", which
might be part of the problem.

But as you can see, I am kind of struggling to find the cause of the
problem. ;-)

@ 2021-01-03 16:21     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2021-01-03 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Rojon, help-guix

You most probably have an issue with your dotfiles.
Some comments below:

Olivier Rojon <o.rojon@posteo.net> writes:

>   #!/usr/bin/env bash
> . /etc/profile &
> . ~/.bashrc &
> exec exwm

Remove the trailing `&`.  This syntax is used to start processes in the
background, but here you are sourcing configuration files which should
be done synchronously.

> - I had manually defined PATH in .bashrc, which I believe might have
> overriden other attempts at defining it (even though it contains :$PATH
> at the end)

It may have a typo.  Try commenting out any modification done to PATH
and try again.

> - I did what is sometimes advised when you install a package, that you
> should add the following lines to your shell:

> GUIX_PROFILE="/home/hapster/.guix-profile"
> . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
>
> However, I had not added an "export" in front of "GUIX_PROFILE", which
> might be part of the problem.

Nope, it should not matter if the second line was applied properly.

> But as you can see, I am kind of struggling to find the cause of the
> problem. ;-)

Try creating a new user with no modifications done to the dotfiles.
Then import your dotfiles gradually do see which one triggers the issue.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: EXWM: file or program not found, ls
@ 2021-01-06  0:18 ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2021-01-06  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olivier Rojon; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Olivier,

I'm also on GuixSD, using EXWM as my window manager. It sounds like you
have an issue with your PATH environment variable.

I set my environment variables in ~/.bash_profile, so that they are
automatically set on login and are therefore propagated to Emacs when it
is started by EXWM.

Here's an excerpt from my ~/.bash_profile to get you started:

# Shell variables
export MYPROFILE=$HOME/.guix-profile
GUIX_PROFILE=$MYPROFILE source $MYPROFILE/etc/profile
export ASPELL_DICT_DIR=$MYPROFILE/lib/aspell
export GIT_EXEC_PATH=$MYPROFILE/libexec/git-core
export PATH=$MYPROFILE/bin:$MYPROFILE/sbin:$PATH
export CPATH=$MYPROFILE/include${CPATH:+:}$CPATH
export LIBRARY_PATH=$MYPROFILE/lib${LIBRARY_PATH:+:}$LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYPROFILE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:}$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$MYPROFILE/lib/pkgconfig:$MYPROFILE/share/pkgconfig${PKG_CONFIG_PATH:+:}$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES=$MYPROFILE/lib/gio/modules${GIO_EXTRA_MODULES:+:}$GIO_EXTRA_MODULES
export ACLOCAL_PATH=$MYPROFILE/share/aclocal${ACLOCAL_PATH:+:}$ACLOCAL_PATH
export NODE_PATH=$MYPROFILE/lib/node_modules${NODE_PATH:+:}$NODE_PATH

# Remove duplicates from *PATH* variables
export PATH=`awk -F: '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(!($i in a)){a[$i];printf s$i;s=":"}}}'<<<$PATH`
export INFOPATH=`awk -F: '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(!($i in a)){a[$i];printf s$i;s=":"}}}'<<<$INFOPATH`
export CPATH=`awk -F: '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(!($i in a)){a[$i];printf s$i;s=":"}}}'<<<$CPATH`
export LIBRARY_PATH=`awk -F: '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(!($i in a)){a[$i];printf s$i;s=":"}}}'<<<$LIBRARY_PATH`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`awk -F: '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(!($i in a)){a[$i];printf s$i;s=":"}}}'<<<$LD_LIBRARY_PATH`
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=`awk -F: '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(!($i in a)){a[$i];printf s$i;s=":"}}}'<<<$PKG_CONFIG_PATH`
export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES=`awk -F: '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(!($i in a)){a[$i];printf s$i;s=":"}}}'<<<$GIO_EXTRA_MODULES`
export ACLOCAL_PATH=`awk -F: '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(!($i in a)){a[$i];printf s$i;s=":"}}}'<<<$ACLOCAL_PATH`
export NODE_PATH=`awk -F: '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(!($i in a)){a[$i];printf s$i;s=":"}}}'<<<$NODE_PATH`

I also make ~/.bashrc a symlink to ~/.bash_profile since these variable
definitions are idempotent. I don't do any other fancy magic with
~/.profile, ~/.xsession, or ~/.xinitrc other than using xsetroot, xset,
setxkbmap, xrdb, and friends to tweak my X setup in .xsession and then
call exwm on its final line.

Hope that helps!
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.

* Re: EXWM: file or program not found, ls
@ 2021-02-06 13:47       ` Olivier Rojon
From: Olivier Rojon @ 2021-02-06 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

Hello everyone :)

so I figured out what the problem was and am super happy it had nothing
to do with Guix but was related to my Emacs init file.

The culprit was in the (custom ...)-form. I had (exec-path) defined to
values Guix probably couldn't use properly. Deleting (exec-path ...)
from the customs solved the issue completely.

I couldn't be more happy. Again, one step closer towards migration :)

Have a good day, thanks for your effort,

Ollivier