* Guix on the MNT Reform
@ 2020-05-08 15:06 Christopher Lemmer Webber
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2020-05-08 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm very excited to see the MNT Reform launch:

  https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform
  https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform/updates/the-campaign-is-live

Completely hackable laptop; all the designs (that are possible) are
libre, and you can even 3d print to replace many of the parts.

However my impression is that running Guix on ARM is not necessarily
straightforward.  I haven't tried it yet.

Most important specs:

    CPU: NXP/Freescale i.MX8MQ with 4x ARM Cortex-A53 cores (1.5 GHz),
      1x Cortex-M4F core. CPU and RAM are on exchangeable SO-DIMM sized
      module.
    RAM: 4GB LPDDR4 memory
    GPU: Vivante GC7000Lite GPU with mainline Linux drivers and OpenGL
      2.1, ES 2.0

(My other main worry is: that's pretty light on RAM these days...!
But hey, maybe incentive for me to cut the fat in the programs I use a
bit more...)

I am thinking of getting one and running Guix on it.  It would be nice
to know that I wouldn't be alone. :)  Anyone else planning to get one
and joing me on the journey on maybe the most hacker-oriented laptop
ever?

 - Chris

* Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
@ 2020-05-08 18:19 ` Simon Josefsson
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2020-05-08 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:

> I'm very excited to see the MNT Reform launch:
>
>   https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform
>   https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform/updates/the-campaign-is-live
>
> Completely hackable laptop; all the designs (that are possible) are
> libre, and you can even 3d print to replace many of the parts.

It looks quite expensive.  Did you look at the Pinebook Pro?

https://www.pine64.org/pinebook-pro/
https://store.pine64.org/?product=14%e2%80%b3-pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-64gb-emmc-iso-keyboard-estimated-dispatch-in-october-2019

I have ordered their Rockpro64 single-board computer to start Guix
experimentation on it.  It is an arm64 platform.

https://store.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-4gb-single-board-computer

/Simon

* Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
@ 2020-05-08 18:30 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2020-05-08 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

> I'm very excited to see the MNT Reform launch:
>
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform/updates/the-campaign-is-live
>
> Completely hackable laptop; all the designs (that are possible) are
> libre, and you can even 3d print to replace many of the parts.
>
> However my impression is that running Guix on ARM is not necessarily
> straightforward. I haven't tried it yet.
>
> Most important specs:
>
> CPU: NXP/Freescale i.MX8MQ with 4x ARM Cortex-A53 cores (1.5 GHz),
> 1x Cortex-M4F core. CPU and RAM are on exchangeable SO-DIMM sized
> module.
> RAM: 4GB LPDDR4 memory
> GPU: Vivante GC7000Lite GPU with mainline Linux drivers and OpenGL
> 2.1, ES 2.0
>
> (My other main worry is: that's pretty light on RAM these days...!
> But hey, maybe incentive for me to cut the fat in the programs I use a
> bit more...)
>
> I am thinking of getting one and running Guix on it. It would be nice
> to know that I wouldn't be alone. :) Anyone else planning to get one
> and joing me on the journey on maybe the most hacker-oriented laptop
> ever?
>
> -   Chris

Hey Chris,

It's a great project, I've been checking the schematics and stuff myself and I liked it a lot. It's a great reference design to build on top of.
I can't afford one atm but I can do my best to help you play with it.
I'm really interested on if it's able to run Guix and I'd like to know about your experience with it.

Please keep me posted on your journey!

Best,
Ekaitz

* Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
@ 2020-05-08 18:52 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2020-05-08 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber, help-guix

On 2020-05-08, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> I'm very excited to see the MNT Reform launch:
>
>   https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform
>   https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform/updates/the-campaign-is-live
> Most important specs:
>
>     CPU: NXP/Freescale i.MX8MQ with 4x ARM Cortex-A53 cores (1.5 GHz),
>       1x Cortex-M4F core. CPU and RAM are on exchangeable SO-DIMM sized
>       module.

The A53 cores are going to seem quite slow for guix, I would guess.
I've run guix on a pinebook and pine64+ which also have quad-core A53
(although from a different vendor and less RAM) and the CPU was quite
slow...

On the plus side, the A53 cores are immune to most spectre/meltdown
attacks!

>     RAM: 4GB LPDDR4 memory
>     GPU: Vivante GC7000Lite GPU with mainline Linux drivers and OpenGL
>       2.1, ES 2.0
>
> (My other main worry is: that's pretty light on RAM these days...!
> But hey, maybe incentive for me to cut the fat in the programs I use a
> bit more...)

4GB is fairly useable with guix on the Pinebook Pro, though it has some
faster CPU cores as well.

> I am thinking of getting one and running Guix on it.  It would be nice
> to know that I wouldn't be alone. :)  Anyone else planning to get one
> and joing me on the journey on maybe the most hacker-oriented laptop
> ever?

It's very tempting, but I have too many barely working experimental
laptops already... and the price tag is a bit high. That the various
parts are upgradable, at least in theory, is quite nice!

I'd be curious what the power consumption profile is like at idle and
full load...

live well,
  vagrant

* Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
@ 2020-05-08 19:16   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-05-08 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 11:52:51AM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On the plus side, the A53 cores are immune to most spectre/meltdown
> attacks!

Yes, a mixed blessing, to be sure! Cortex-A53 is an in-order CPU design.

* Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-05-08 20:44 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-05-08 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

Hey there,

I am definitely interested in the Reform. Can we see if we can work out something in advance? The ship date is tentatively in December 2020.

- John

* Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
@ 2020-05-09 13:03   ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2020-05-09 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Josefsson; +Cc: help-guix

Simon Josefsson writes:

> Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> writes:
>
>> I'm very excited to see the MNT Reform launch:
>>
>>   https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform
>>   https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform/updates/the-campaign-is-live
>>
>> Completely hackable laptop; all the designs (that are possible) are
>> libre, and you can even 3d print to replace many of the parts.
>
> It looks quite expensive.  Did you look at the Pinebook Pro?
>
> https://www.pine64.org/pinebook-pro/
> https://store.pine64.org/?product=14%e2%80%b3-pinebook-pro-linux-laptop-64gb-emmc-iso-keyboard-estimated-dispatch-in-october-2019
>
> I have ordered their Rockpro64 single-board computer to start Guix
> experimentation on it.  It is an arm64 platform.
>
> https://store.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-4gb-single-board-computer
>
> /Simon

The Pinebook Pro is definitely amazingly cheap.

The MNT Reform is trying to aim for something else though: something
easily repairable and continuable by the community.

* Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-09-02 22:22 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-02 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

Hello Chris,

On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 11:06:04AM -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> I'm very excited to see the MNT Reform launch:

thanks for bringing it to my attention! It looks quite exciting indeed.

> However my impression is that running Guix on ARM is not necessarily
> straightforward.  I haven't tried it yet.

I have been using it on a Novena (which has the "predecessor" board i.MX6,
a 32 bit architecture, and does feel very slow; I am assuming the new board
will be much faster), and on the Overdrive, which we use as a build server.
Guix as a package manager is easy, but I am not very knowledgeable on how to
install the complete system.

From what I understand, they use a stock Linux 5.7.0 kernel and publish
a kernel config file; we should be able to produce this for Guix with
linux-libre.

>     CPU: NXP/Freescale i.MX8MQ with 4x ARM Cortex-A53 cores (1.5 GHz),
>       1x Cortex-M4F core. CPU and RAM are on exchangeable SO-DIMM sized
>       module.
>     RAM: 4GB LPDDR4 memory
>     GPU: Vivante GC7000Lite GPU with mainline Linux drivers and OpenGL
>       2.1, ES 2.0
> (My other main worry is: that's pretty light on RAM these days...!
> But hey, maybe incentive for me to cut the fat in the programs I use a
> bit more...)

There is a project to develop an LS1028A module with two A72 cores and
up to 16 GB RAM:
   https://nlnet.nl/project/MNT-Reform/
It is expected to be more expensive and to not be available before next year.
So maybe it will be possible to upgrade, depending on how long the adventure
will last - I was a bit disappointed that the Novena has been a one-shot
experience. And there is the EOMA68, which has not materialised.

Oh, and one big drawback: The HDMI output requires a proprietary firmware
blob. Given that I am using my laptop mainly for working attached to a
large screen, that is a big problem.

Since you posted your message, there has been a librelounge podcast, which
I have not yet listened to:
   https://librelounge.org/episodes/39-mnt-reform-with-lukas-hartmann.html

Andreas

* Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
@ 2020-09-13 14:10   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2020-09-13 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 12:22:27AM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
> On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 11:06:04AM -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> > I'm very excited to see the MNT Reform launch:
> thanks for bringing it to my attention! It looks quite exciting indeed.

And I just ordered one through work. Judging by the postings on Mastodon,
it looks like it will be delivered on time, still this year.

Are there other Guix users who ordered such a machine?

Andreas

* Re: Guix on the MNT Reform
@ 2020-09-15  3:23     ` Fredrik Salomonsson
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2020-09-15  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Are there other Guix users who ordered such a machine?

I was debating it back and forth after I saw the first email from
Christopher. And a week or so before they reached their goal I took the
plunge and ordered one. Should be a fun laptop to hack on.

--
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g