unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file
@ 2021-04-07  4:11 Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-07  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

When I use a virtual terminal or Emacs on a virtual terminal using
`emacsclient --tty` I have a blinking cursor.  My preference is to not
have the cursor blink.  I can stop the cursor from blinking by manually
changing the contents of `/sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink` to
"0".  I would like to create a service that manages the contents of
`/sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink`.

I looked in "Services" as well as the "Defining Services" of the manual
for something similar to `etc-service-type` that allows for the file to
be in any location.

Any suggestions on how to make a service for this?

* Re: How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file
@ 2021-04-07 11:12 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-04-07 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Bone Baboon

There's special-files-service-type described here: http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Base-Services.html#Base-Services

However, I'm not sure it will work in /sys. I guess you'll have to try and report back :)

HTH!

@ 2021-04-07 14:12   ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2021-04-07 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Bone Baboon, help-guix

Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org> writes:

> When I use a virtual terminal or Emacs on a virtual terminal using
> `emacsclient --tty` I have a blinking cursor.  My preference is to not
> have the cursor blink.

In addition to Julien's suggestion, I'll also point out that you can
tell Emacs to not use a blinking cursor by including this line in your
~/.emacs.d/init.el file:

(blink-cursor-mode 0)

Hope that helps,
  Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.

* Re: How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file
@ 2021-04-08 23:26     ` Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-08 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Johnson; +Cc: help-guix

Gary Johnson writes:
> In addition to Julien's suggestion, I'll also point out that you can
> tell Emacs to not use a blinking cursor by including this line in your
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el file:
>
> (blink-cursor-mode 0)

Thank you for pointing out `blink-cursor-mode` I am aware of it and
tested it.  When Emacs is started with `emacsclient --tty` from a
virtual terminal or a terminal emulator `blink-cursor-mode` does not
seem to do anything.  When I use a graphical Emacs `blink-cursor-mode`
does control the cursor blinking.

* Re: How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file
@ 2021-04-08 23:46   ` Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-08 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Julien Lepiller writes:

> There's special-files-service-type described here: http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Base-Services.html#Base-Services
>
> However, I'm not sure it will work in /sys. I guess you'll have to try and report back :)

Thank you for this suggestion.

I added this to services in my system configuration:

```
(service special-files-service-type
  `(("/sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink"
     "/home/user/no-blink"))
```

The contents of `home/user/no-blink` is "0".

When I run a system reconfiguration I get this error "guix system:
error: symlink: Operation not permitted:
"sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink.new".

Any ideas on how to overcome this error?

The contents of `/sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink` is reset to "1"
every time the computer is turned on and the cursor is blinking.  I
would like to get a service working that sets it to "0" so that I do not
need to manually change this setting every time I boot the computer.

* Re: How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file
@ 2021-04-09  0:06     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-04-09  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: help-guix

I think this is because you cannot replace a file a /sys like guix tries to. Instead, it seems you can set a linux kernel argument on the command line run by grub at startup. According to the internet, that would be "vt.global_cursor_default=0"

You can set it up in your config by adding a kernel-arguments field to you operating-system declaration, like this:

(operating-system
  (kernel-arguments (cons "vt.global_cursor_default=0" %default-kernel-argumentt)))

Hope that helps!

@ 2021-04-10  4:18       ` Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-10  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

I have been able to execute this command
`echo "0" > /sys/class/graphics/fbcon/cursor_blink`
with a system that was using `runit` as it's initialization
system. The command was executed during stage 1 of runit's system
initialization.
http://smarden.org/runit/runit.8.html

Is there an equivalent to runit's stage 1 for Shepherd?

Julien Lepiller writes:

> I think this is because you cannot replace a file a /sys like guix tries to. Instead, it seems you can set a linux kernel argument on the command line run by grub at startup. According to the internet, that would be "vt.global_cursor_default=0"
>
> You can set it up in your config by adding a kernel-arguments field to you operating-system declaration, like this:
>
> (operating-system
>   (kernel-arguments (cons "vt.global_cursor_default=0" %default-kernel-argumentt)))

Thank you for bringing this kernel argument to my attention.

It looks like there are three settings to choose from:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.15/admin-guide/kernel-parameters.html

`-1` and `1` both are blinking cursors. `0` is no cursor at all.  The
challenge with no cursor at all is that it lacks the visual feedback of
where the cursor is located.

* Re: How to create a service for contents of arbitrary file
@ 2021-04-10 10:50         ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-04-10 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon; +Cc: help-guix

No, Shepherd doesn't have a notion of stages. You can make it run a command at startup by using a normal service though. I use one on my server to set up static networking with ipv4 and ipv6 by running iproute. See https://git.lepiller.eu/system-configuration/tree/-/modules/config/network.scm

Maybe there's another kernel argument you could use?

@ 2021-04-14 23:22           ` Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-14 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Julien Lepiller writes:

> No, Shepherd doesn't have a notion of stages. You can make it run a command at startup by using a normal service though. I use one on my server to set up static networking with ipv4 and ipv6 by running iproute. See https://git.lepiller.eu/system-configuration/tree/-/modules/config/network.scm

Thank you for sharing this example.

> Maybe there's another kernel argument you could use?

I have searched for one but have not found it yet.