unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>
To: Bone Baboon <bone.baboon@disroot.org>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Freenode sasl authentication error rcirc
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 03:26:26 +0200	[thread overview]

Bone Baboon writes:
> I am not using Tor.

This bugged me, so I asked in #freenode.

> I have not changed my rcirc configuration that was working.

But Freenode probably changed theirs:

<jess> nckx: some IP ranges are sasl required
<jess> high risk ranges
<nckx> jess: Aha.  That's probably it.
<nckx> It would explain the suddenly.
<jess> it's an unfortunate measure but sometimes necessary
<darsie> VPNs used for password guessing?
<jess> we did it to some domestic ranges fairly recently in
response to significant abuse
<jess> darsie: some VPNs require SASL to make it more work to
evade/abuse using them
<nckx> So my suggestions are: (1) move (2) change ISPs/use a
bouncer (3) just set up SASL
<nckx> Definitely not in that order.
<jess> nckx: does rcirc not support sasl?
<jess> sasl is very good
<nckx> That I don't know yet.
<nckx> SASL is sweet and tasty.
<jess> if it doesn't, aim me at someone to whom i can explain sasl
<nckx> I'll keep that in mind.

Unless you can obtain a new IP that isn't part of these ‘high-risk
ranges’, or connect through a bouncer elsewhere, you *need* to set
up SASL.  How that's done differs per client.

I briefly looked for rcirc how-tos but found none.  The manual[0]
doesn't mention SASL at all.  I'm not going to spend time learning
about rcirc, but every modern IRC client should support SASL.  If
it doesn't, find a better one, or take one of the alternative
actions above.

jess seems to be willing to explain SASL to the rcirc developers
if needed.

> I have tried adding the `gnutls`, `gsasl` and `cyrus-sasl`
> packages to
> my system configuration and reconfiguring.  These packages do
> not fix
> this problem.

Simply installing some packages won't cut it.  You need to
actually register your nickname and configure your client to log
you in using SASL.

Some very general information:
<https://freenode.net/kb/answer/sasl>

Kind regards,