unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Guix Hang Out Attempt 2 and an Unoffical Guix Hackathon/config party
@ 2021-07-22 21:12 jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-07-22 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello friends!

Let's try to do another guix hang out next Tuesday, July 27th! We'll meet
at 7pm UTC. (I think that is 3pm EST). That is one of the few days I
usually have officially off, so I will meet you all with jitsi:

https://meet.jit.si/guix
password: smoothsystem

I plan on meeting for at least an hour, but ya'll are welcome to attend
for a shorter or longer duration.

Feel free to come and chat about guix or ask any config questions.
I'm perfectly happy to try to help you fix your current configuration
issue.

The following Tuesday, August 3rd at 7pm UTC, let's do an unofficial
guix hackathon/config party.  What service do you want?  What package?
What services are you having difficulty setting up?

I want to see gitile-service-type get merged personally.  It looks so
beautiful!  How about a sway-service-type? opensmtpd-configuration record?
Let's talk about it then:

https://meet.jit.si/guix
password: smoothsystem

If the guix room gets too noisy and crowded, we can always split it up.

Live long and prosper,

Joshua

* Re: Guix Hang Out Attempt 2 and an Unoffical Guix Hackathon/config party
@ 2021-07-23  1:42 ` Anadon
From: Anadon @ 2021-07-23  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: help-guix

I'll see about making it.  It is during my work hours.

@ 2021-07-23 15:11   ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-07-23 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anadon; +Cc: help-guix

Anadon <joshua.r.marshall.1991@gmail.com> writes:

> I'll see about making it.  It is during my work hours.

Sorry.  I work second shift.  :(  Trying to find a time that I am free
is difficult.

--
Joshua Branson (jab in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Guix Hang Out Attempt 2 and an Unoffical Guix Hackathon/config party
@ 2021-07-23 15:56 ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2021-07-23 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso, help-guix

On 2021-07-22, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
> Let's try to do another guix hang out next Tuesday, July 27th! We'll meet
> at 7pm UTC. (I think that is 3pm EST).

*EDT*, but otherwise looks pretty much right:

  $ date --utc --date='2021-07-27 19:00'
  Tue Jul 27 19:00:00 UTC 2021

  $ date --utc --date='2021-07-27 19:00' +%s
  1627412400

  $ TZ=US/Eastern date --date=@1627412400
  Tue Jul 27 15:00:00 EDT 2021

  $ TZ=US/Eastern date -R --date=@1627412400
  Tue, 27 Jul 2021 15:00:00 -0400

Timezones are so confusing, best to "just" use the unix epoch. :)

Hope to join you sometime, though probably can't make it this time...

live well,
  vagrant

* Re: Guix Hang Out Attempt 2 and an Unoffical Guix Hackathon/config party
@ 2021-07-24 13:00   ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2021-07-24 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: help-guix, jbranso

Vagrant Cascadian writes:

> On 2021-07-22, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
>> Let's try to do another guix hang out next Tuesday, July 27th! We'll meet
>> at 7pm UTC. (I think that is 3pm EST).
>
> *EDT*, but otherwise looks pretty much right:
>
>   $ date --utc --date='2021-07-27 19:00'
>   Tue Jul 27 19:00:00 UTC 2021
>
>   $ date --utc --date='2021-07-27 19:00' +%s
>   1627412400
>
>   $ TZ=US/Eastern date --date=@1627412400
>   Tue Jul 27 15:00:00 EDT 2021
>
>   $ TZ=US/Eastern date -R --date=@1627412400
>   Tue, 27 Jul 2021 15:00:00 -0400
>

> Timezones are so confusing, best to "just" use the unix epoch. :)
>

> Hope to join you sometime, though probably can't make it this time...
>

> live well,
>   vagrant

The idea of using UNIX epoch is good.  But the command showed that it's
Wed, 28 Jul 2021 01:00:00 +0600 for me, so I can't attend.  Can you
change the time?  And, is that instance of Jitsi Meet free (libre)?

--
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5

See https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/ to learn more and protect your
emails and yourself from surveillance.  Please send me encrypted messages
whenever possible.

Never send me Microsoft Office attachments, they use secret proprietary
format so I'll fail to read and trash them; send them in plain text if
possible or in formats like ODF and PDF if your document contains images or
videos. See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html to learn
more.

Please don't send HTML emails, use plain text.  HTML emails are usually
about thousand times larger than plain text, vulnerable and look ugly to
me.  They contain tracker, so whenever someone opens a messsage he is
tracked by third-party.  See http://www.asciiribbon.org to learn more.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix Hang Out Attempt 2 and an Unoffical Guix Hackathon/config party
@ 2021-07-24 16:59     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-07-24 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, help-guix

Akib Azmain Turja <akib8492@gmail.com> writes:

> Vagrant Cascadian writes:
>
>> On 2021-07-22, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
>
> The idea of using UNIX epoch is good.  But the command showed that it's
> Wed, 28 Jul 2021 01:00:00 +0600 for me, so I can't attend.  Can you
> change the time?  And, is that instance of Jitsi Meet free (libre)?

Perhaps in the future.  Is that super early in the morning for you?
Just curious.  :)

I can record the video if you like, though audio may be REALLY poor.

--

@ 2021-07-24 17:06     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-07-24 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, help-guix

Akib Azmain Turja <akib8492@gmail.com> writes:

> Vagrant Cascadian writes:
>

> The idea of using UNIX epoch is good.  But the command showed that it's
> Wed, 28 Jul 2021 01:00:00 +0600 for me, so I can't attend.  Can you
> change the time?  And, is that instance of Jitsi Meet free (libre)?

I believe it is...it's the official jitsi instance.

We could always meet at the official FSF jitsi instance, though I'm not
certain if they intend their instance to be a hang out instance...

--

@ 2021-07-26  7:29       ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2021-07-26  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, help-guix

Joshua Branson writes:

> I believe it is...it's the official jitsi instance.
>
> We could always meet at the official FSF jitsi instance, though I'm not
> certain if they intend their instance to be a hang out instance...

I know FSF has an Jitsi instance for the associate members, but does FSF
has a public Jitsi instance?

--

@ 2021-07-27  1:19       ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2021-07-27  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, help-guix

July 26, 2021 3:29 AM, "Akib Azmain Turja" <akib8492@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joshua Branson writes:
>
>> I believe it is...it's the official jitsi instance.
>>
>> We could always meet at the official FSF jitsi instance, though I'm not
>> certain if they intend their instance to be a hang out instance...
>
> I know FSF has an Jitsi instance for the associate members, but does FSF
> has a public Jitsi instance?

I am an associate member.  :)  I could create the chat room and invite others
to join, so we could meet there.  However if I get called into work, someone
else will have to create the chat room.

@ 2021-07-27 20:54       ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-07-27 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: Vagrant Cascadian, help-guix

Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:

> Akib Azmain Turja <akib8492@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Vagrant Cascadian writes:
>>

>> The idea of using UNIX epoch is good.  But the command showed that it's
>> Wed, 28 Jul 2021 01:00:00 +0600 for me, so I can't attend.  Can you
>> change the time?  And, is that instance of Jitsi Meet free (libre)?
>
> I believe it is...it's the official jitsi instance.
>
> We could always meet at the official FSF jitsi instance, though I'm not
> certain if they intend their instance to be a hang out instance...

The hangout today was awesome!

I and other mysterious and extremely talented C developer discovered the
wonder of power9!

guix environment -s powerpc64le-linux coreutils --ad-hoc coreutils gdb

is a cool command that lets you create a guix binary that runs of
powerpc.  You can then use said guix binary in qemu!  Though it might
work faster if you had a power9 machine.

This talented and mysterious developer also mentioned that IBM does
provide power9 VMs that you can request access to, which would make the
debbugging process a little smoothier.

I talked about my current email server and other things.  Hopefully we
will see more people next week!

--

@ 2021-07-27 21:44         ` Thiago Jung Bauermann
From: Thiago Jung Bauermann @ 2021-07-27 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja, Vagrant Cascadian, help-guix

Hello,

Em terça-feira, 27 de julho de 2021, às 17:54:16 -03, Joshua Branson
escreveu:
> Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> writes:
> > Akib Azmain Turja <akib8492@gmail.com> writes:
> >> Vagrant Cascadian writes:
> >>

> >> The idea of using UNIX epoch is good.  But the command showed that
> >> it's
> >> Wed, 28 Jul 2021 01:00:00 +0600 for me, so I can't attend.  Can you
> >> change the time?  And, is that instance of Jitsi Meet free (libre)?
> >
> > I believe it is...it's the official jitsi instance.
> >
> > We could always meet at the official FSF jitsi instance, though I'm not
> > certain if they intend their instance to be a hang out instance...
>
> The hangout today was awesome!

It was!

> I and other mysterious and extremely talented C developer discovered the
> wonder of power9!
>
> guix environment -s powerpc64le-linux coreutils --ad-hoc coreutils gdb
>
> is a cool command that lets you create a guix binary that runs of
> powerpc.  You can then use said guix binary in qemu!  Though it might
> work faster if you had a power9 machine.

Thank you for the “extremely talented”. Not sure about that one. :-)

That is the command I’m using to investigate a test suite failure in the
‘coreutils-final’ package reported by CI¹. It will bring in the coreutils
build inputs as well as GDB. If you want a minimal environment you can use
this smaller alternative:

$ guix environment -s powerpc64le-linux --ad-hoc coreutils

It assumes that you have binfmt configured to launch the QEMU user
emulator. This happens automagically on Ubuntu (and I assume on Debian as
well) if you install the ‘qemu-user-static’ package.

It also works for other systems such as armhf-linux and aarch64-linux.

> This talented and mysterious developer also mentioned that IBM does
> provide power9 VMs that you can request access to, which would make the
> debbugging process a little smoothier.

Indeed! IBM provides free access to powerpc64le VMs for people doing open
source development:

https://openpower.ic.unicamp.br/minicloud/

I just noticed that there’s a Guix logo on that page, so I guess this isn’t
news for you. :-)

> I talked about my current email server and other things.

That was very informative. Thank you!

> Hopefully we will see more people next week!

And thanks again for organizing the hang out! It’s a great idea.

Thiago

¹ https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/692547/details

* Re: Guix Hang Out Attempt 2 and an Unoffical Guix Hackathon/config party
@ 2021-08-18 14:09 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-08-18 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso, help-guix

Hi Joshua,

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 at 21:12, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:

> Let's try to do another guix hang out next Tuesday, July 27th! We'll meet
> at 7pm UTC. (I think that is 3pm EST). That is one of the few days I
> usually have officially off, so I will meet you all with jitsi:

Cool!  Thanks for the initiative even if I am late to the party.  Maybe
next time.

All the best,
simon