unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Using emacs library with guix environment
@ 2021-10-06 19:04 jgart
From: jgart @ 2021-10-06 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Help

Hi,

I'm trying to use emacs-commander with guix environment on a foreign distro.

I'm only able to properly source the library into the environment if I run
the following:

`guix environment emacs-commander --ad-hoc emacs-commander`

Why do I have to provide emacs-commander twice to the environment command?

I tested only using --ad-hoc or without and none of those work.

I'm only able to properly source emacs-commander when I include it twice as in
the above command.

Could someone explain the reason for this to me?

Any help is much appreciated.

all best,

jgart

https://github.com/rejeep/commander.el

3B1D 7F19 E36B B60C 0F5B 2CA9 A52A A2B4 77B6 DD35

* Re: Using emacs library with guix environment
@ 2021-10-06 19:15 ` edk
From: edk @ 2021-10-06 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: help-guix

Hello !

I'm not sure what the problem is with this particular package, but:
guix environment emacs-commander

will create an env with all you need to BUILD emacs-commander

while

guix environment --ad-hoc emacs-commander

will create an env in which emacs-commander is installed.

Now, if guix environment --ad-hoc emacs-commander doesnt work, it may
mean that one of the native-input of emacs-commander should be an input
or a propagated-input instead. That would explain why

guix environment emacs-commander --ad-hoc emacs-commander

works: because it installs this native-input in the env as well.

I hope this makes sense, if not please ask away.

Cheers,

Edouard.

@ 2021-10-07  0:18 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-10-07  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Guix Help

jgart writes:

> I'm only able to properly source the library into the environment if I run
> the following:
>
> `guix environment emacs-commander --ad-hoc emacs-commander`
>
> Why do I have to provide emacs-commander twice to the environment command?

I believe the key package that the first emacs-commander (the one before
--ad-hoc) brings in is emacs along with its corresponding EMACSLOADPATH.

Notice that

  $ guix environment --pure --ad-hoc bash emacs-commander -- sh -c 'echo $EMACSLOADPATH'

outputs nothing.  Now if emacs is added as an ad-hoc package:

  $ guix environment --pure --ad-hoc bash emacs-commander emacs -- sh -c 'echo $EMACSLOADPATH'
  /gnu/store/qg6rsw6w587aykln2dzssr43nl6jq1a1-profile/share/emacs/site-lisp

Or another test, dropping --pure to be closer to your initial snippet:

  $ guix environment --ad-hoc emacs-commander -- \
    emacs -Q --batch --eval '(print (locate-library "commander"))'
  nil

  # add emacs as ad-hoc package
  $ guix environment --ad-hoc emacs-commander emacs -- \
    emacs -Q --batch --eval '(print (locate-library "commander"))'
  "/gnu/store/kr9cnw5c9nydiilb25w3q5bnp5c1zvca-emacs-commander-0.7.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/commander-0.7.0/commander.elc"