unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* package exists but not showing
@ 2022-07-08  4:34 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2022-07-08  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi, I am running the latest mainline guix on top of Fedora.  After doing

guix pull && guix package -u

I run into this situation:

$ hash guix
$ which firefox
~/.guix-profile/bin/firefox
$ guix show firefox
guix show: error: firefox: package not found
$ guix package --list-installed|grep firefox
firefox                 100.0.2                 out
/gnu/store/wmlyxw4jx2d75cwn2hv5g99b61jwpinz-firefox-100.0.2
$

I wonder if this is a valid state for guix?

* Re: package exists but not showing
@ 2022-07-08  5:04 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-07-08  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Andy Tai

Can you show us "which guix"? Alse firefox is not part of guix, but it's in a channel. Maybe your channel configuration changed recently?

@ 2022-07-08  5:16   ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2022-07-08  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

$ which guix
~/.guix-profile/bin/guix

Firefox comes from a channel that is not part of guix, whose
configuration shall have been stable for a long time.

--
Andy Tai, atai@atai.org, Skype: licheng.tai, Line: andy_tai, WeChat: andytai1010
Year 2021 民國110年

* Re: package exists but not showing
@ 2022-07-08  6:38     ` (
From: ( @ 2022-07-08  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri Jul 8, 2022 at 6:16 AM BST, Andy Tai wrote:
> $ which guix
> ~/.guix-profile/bin/guix

Run `guix remove guix` ;) You're not supposed to install guix using
`guix install`; it's updated when you `guix pull`.

    -- (

* Re: package exists but not showing
@ 2022-07-08  6:44     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-07-08  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, 07 Jul 2022 at 22:16, Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> wrote:
> $ which guix
> ~/.guix-profile/bin/guix

That’s odd.  It means you are running the package guix, not the pulled
guix which usually lives at ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix

Could you try:

    $ ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix show firefox

?  And if the issue is probably from:

    $ cat ~/.config/guix/channels.scm
    $ guix package --list-installed | grep guix

Hope that helps,
simon

* Re: package exists but not showing
@ 2022-07-08  8:36 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-07-08  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: help-guix

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> Hi, I am running the latest mainline guix on top of Fedora.  After doing
>
> guix pull && guix package -u
>
> I run into this situation:
>
> $ hash guix
> $ which firefox
> ~/.guix-profile/bin/firefox
> $ guix show firefox
> guix show: error: firefox: package not found
> $ guix package --list-installed|grep firefox
> firefox                 100.0.2                 out
> /gnu/store/wmlyxw4jx2d75cwn2hv5g99b61jwpinz-firefox-100.0.2
> $
>
> I wonder if this is a valid state for guix?

It is a valid state.  You could for example do this:

  guix time-machine -C channels-with-firefox -- install firefox

That would install firefox into your profile, but when you then do “guix
show firefox” it would print an error, because *this* Guix doesn’t know
anything about the “firefox” package.

What is installed is separate from what Guix knows about.  All this
tells you is that the package you installed was provided by a different
version of Guix (with possibly different channels) than the version of
Guix you are using to run “guix show”.

--
Ricardo

* Re: package exists but not showing
@ 2022-07-08 16:15       ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2022-07-08 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: (; +Cc: Julien Lepiller, help-guix

That seems to resolve the issue.

Now guix is at

$ which guix
~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix

Hope this is the expected path.  :)  Thanks

@ 2022-07-08 16:18         ` (
From: ( @ 2022-07-08 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: Julien Lepiller, help-guix

On Fri Jul 8, 2022 at 5:15 PM BST, Andy Tai wrote:
> ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix
>
> Hope this is the expected path.  :)  Thanks

It is the correct path. That's where `guix pull` installs everything.

    -- (

* Re: package exists but not showing
@ 2022-12-01 12:56           ` SeerLite
From: SeerLite @ 2022-12-01 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, (, Andy Tai; +Cc: Julien Lepiller

Perhaps `guix install` should disallow installing guix to avoid these common mistakes?

* Re: package exists but not showing
@ 2022-12-01 13:29             ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-12-01 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, SeerLite, (, Andy Tai; +Cc: Julien Lepiller

On 1 December 2022 12:56:50 UTC, SeerLite sed:
>Perhaps `guix install` should disallow installing guix to avoid these common mistakes?

I'm still in favour of merging #58583.  WDYT?

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: package exists but not showing
@ 2022-12-02 14:04               ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-12-02 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, help-guix, SeerLite, (, Andy Tai; +Cc: Julien Lepiller

Hi,

On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 at 13:29, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:
> On 1 December 2022 12:56:50 UTC, SeerLite sed:
>>Perhaps `guix install` should disallow installing guix to avoid these common mistakes?
>
> I'm still in favour of merging #58583.  WDYT?

Yes, please merge.  My point is to warn instead of hard error,

    s/report-error/warning

Well, if all people think an error is better, let do that.

Cheers,
simon