david larsson writes: > Hi! > > First of all - thanks for a great post about using Ganeti with Guix! Thanks. :-) > I need some help with the networking setup part since I am stuck at the > end stages of the blog post tutorial - I am unable to run "gnt-instance > console ". So, I have things setup enough to create these VM's > successfully but I can't ping the hosts or connect to them using > gnt-instance console . Any ideas what the issue might be? If the serial console is not responding (i.e. pressing RET does not make a login screen appear), it is likely the instance has failed to boot. A typical cause is lack of bootloader. In that case the instance will use 100% of a core reading the same virtual disk sector over and over... You can configure a SPICE server with "gnt-instance modify -H kvm:spice_bind=0.0.0.0" and connect remotely with 'spicy' (from spice-gtk) to the host IP and the allocated instance port (gnt-instance info foo | grep port). Then you should be able to see what QEMU is up to. Clues may also be found in /var/log/ganeti/os/add_$provider_$instance_$date. > One thing I noticed was that the arp -n output are giving me > "(incomplete)" listings in the "HWaddress" column (arp from the > net-tools package), which IMU means that ethernet/layer2 frames are not > passed around correctly - usually meaning that bridges aren't setup > properly, right? This applies to the 192.168.1.200 lan address and the > ip address assigned to the VM hosts which I manually set to > 192.168.1.210 instead of ip=pool as in the example. My local network is > setup to use 192.168.1.0/24 addresses. It could be useful to see the relevant system configuration, as well as output of 'ovs-vsctl show' and 'gnt-instance info the-instance' (and maybe also 'gnt-network info'). > I think it would be great if blog posts like these had comments enabled, > so that people trying to follow a tutorial would be able to discuss and > help eachother directly on the blog post page. That is an interesting suggestion. The blog is entirely static, but perhaps we could link in a mailing list or something (no joke!). :-)