unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix-jupyter's ";;guix pin" doesn't support channels.scm?
@ 2021-10-13 17:23 Phil
From: Phil @ 2021-10-13 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all,

Reading:

https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-kernel/-/blob/68b525b241cf952940d4bf66e2697c2d1f3722e5/README.org

There is no explanation of how the ";;guix pin" command can pin multiple channels.

Looking at the source code it seems to only try to match the commit id against the contents of %default-channels:

https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-kernel/-/blob/341aecd8b4358b1b0a0c94235d7601f92c7b9942/guix-jupyter-kernel.scm#L551

My understanding is that %default-channels won't be augmented with any channels defined in /etc/guix/channels.scm or ~/.config/guix/channels.scm, which means it is impossible to pin any auxiliary channels beyond those defined as defaults.

I note if I run ";;guix describe" without ";;guix pin", all 3 channels are returned as per my /etc/guix/channels.scm - so by default it seems to take set itself using the channels.scm, but then only allows us to pin the main guix channel.

My question is how to I pin multiple channel definitions as part of my notebook?

Will running jupyter inside 'guix time-machine' with a channels.scm file
do this? The only problem I see with this is that we've created an
external file required to define how to run jupyter which breaks the
"everything defined inside the notebook" aim?

Cheers,
Phil.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-10-13 17:24 UTC | newest]