unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
To: Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz>, Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Workflow with mu4e + magit for sending patchsets to guix?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 15:10:47 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Pierre,

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 08:28, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:

> Notmuch user here, today I learned about
> notmuch-show-stash-git-send-email!

Some weeks (months?) ago, I also “discovered“ the Notmuch stash stuff.

For example, if I want to refer to your previous message via classic
way, I do:

 1. Open webbrowser and go to the relevant page of archives
 2. Scroll to find the message, click
 3. Stash the URL
 4. Swicth back to Emacs, yank

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-11/msg00109.html>

Maybe instead of webbrowser, I could use eww to avoid the switch.
Anyway.

The issue here is the numbering.  Your message was the 109th message on
help-guix this month but this number is impossible to guess, well one
needs to parse all the mbox archive and count.  Argh!  Each email has an
unique identifier the header Message-ID field.  For example, the one of
your message is: 87pn4ca1c7.fsf@ambrevar.xyz.

And <https://yhetil.org> serves the mapping via public-inbox.
Concretely, I do ’cl’ (notmuch-show-stash-mlarchive-link) reading your
message, select the archive and I get:

<https://yhetil.org/guix-user/87pn4ca1c7.fsf@ambrevar.xyz>

Select the archive because by default it is linux-kernel related
archives: LKML, MARC, etc. even if I do not know about Gmane.  My config
is:

  ;; c l stashes a hyperlink using Message-ID instead of numbering, e.g.:
  ;; https://yhetil.org/guix-user/acba4413-a4ca-d7e5-08f7-24ac9839b830@posteo.de
  ;; vs https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-10/msg00177.html
  (mapcar (lambda (what)
            (add-to-list 'notmuch-show-stash-mlarchive-link-alist
                         `(,what . ,(concat "https://yhetil.org/" what "/"))))
          (reverse'("guix-devel"
                    "guix-user"
                    "guix-science"
                    "gwl"
                    "guix-bugs"
                    "guix-patches")))

(Instead of manually selecting the archive, an helper function could
parse the header fields and do the job but I have not been annoyed
enough yet. :-))

Neat!  Isn’t it? :-)

In this picture, you could be interested by this thread:

  Mummi wishlist: API using Message-ID
  <https://yhetil.org/guix-devel/86sgbhz3fe.fsf@gmail.com>

Note that the project Org-mode switched to a public-inbox instance
recently:

    <https://orgmode.org/list/87r1vd92eg.fsf@bzg.fr/>

Hope that helps,
simon