unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix builds the old guix version
@ 2022-11-09  9:08 Adam Kandur
From: Adam Kandur @ 2022-11-09  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi guix!
I pulled the guix channel, reconfigured my system and cleaned my storage.
But when I am trying to "guix build guix", I am getting this version
guix-1.3.0-32.682639c which is old. What I need to do to build an
actual guix version? (for now it is b4e3e02)

* Re: guix builds the old guix version
@ 2022-11-09 10:39 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-11-09 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kandur; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Adam,

> I pulled the guix channel, reconfigured my system and cleaned my storage.
> But when I am trying to "guix build guix", I am getting this version
> guix-1.3.0-32.682639c which is old. What I need to do to build an
> actual guix version? (for now it is b4e3e02)

This is expected.  The Guix repository contains a package definition for
“guix”, which is a particular version, which necessarily must be older
than the version of Guix you’ve pulled.

The “guix” package can be used as a library by other packages, and it is
updated occasionally.

If you really do need to build the current version of Guix with Guix
then do

    guix build -e '((@ (gnu packages package-management) current-guix))'

There are only few valid use cases that require one to build the latest
version of Guix that are not served better by using “guix pull”.

--
Ricardo

* Re: guix builds the old guix version
@ 2022-11-09 10:41 ` Felix Lechner via
From: Felix Lechner via @ 2022-11-09 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kandur; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Adam

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 1:09 AM Adam Kandur <kefironpremise@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guix!
> I pulled the guix channel, reconfigured my system and cleaned my storage.
> But when I am trying to "guix build guix", I am getting this version
> guix-1.3.0-32.682639c which is old. What I need to do to build an
> actual guix version?

You may wish to try the instructions here. [1] Please make sure to
also have a look at this link (which is mentioned on that page, except
I gave you the 'devel' link for the latest version of the
documentation). [2]

In particular, you will want to run something like 'guix environment
guix' followed by './bootstrap' and './configure
--localstatedir=/var'. After a 'make' you can then issue commands like
'./pre-inst-env guix build guix' (or any other package from Git).

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
Felix Lechner

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/cookbook/en/html_node/Direct-checkout-hacking.html
[2] https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Contributing.html

* Re: guix builds the old guix version
@ 2022-11-09 12:36   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-11-09 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner, Adam Kandur; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Wed, 09 Nov 2022 at 02:41, Felix Lechner via <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> In particular, you will want to run something like 'guix environment
> guix'

Please note that the command “guix environment” is deprecated and it
replaced by “guix shell”, e.g., ’guix environment guix’ reads,

    guix shell -D guix

As detailed in the manual [1], this “guix environment” should be removed
in 2023.

1: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Invoking-guix-environment>

Cheers,
simon