unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org 
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* i18n guix module error when opening shell after guix home reconfigure
@ 2022-01-05 10:00 Roland Everaert via
  2022-01-07 21:38 ` Jelle Licht
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Roland Everaert via @ 2022-01-05 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

First, happy new year and best wishes for this year.

I have updated my guix home configuration to use my zsh config instead of a blank bash configuration.

Unfortunatelly, when I logout and login again, I face the following errors:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backtrace:
9 (primitive-load "/home/roland/.guix-home/on-first-login")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
721:20 8 (primitive-eval (begin (use-modules (guix i18n)) (# …) …))
In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
1230:36 7 (expand-top-sequence ((begin (use-modules (guix …)) …)) …)
1090:25 6 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # …)) …)
1222:19 5 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # …)) …)
259:10 4 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) (()) _ c&e (eval) …)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
3927:20 3 (process-use-modules _)
222:17 2 (map1 (((guix i18n))))
3928:31 1 (_ ((guix i18n)))
3329:6 0 (resolve-interface (guix i18n) #:select _ #:hide _ # _ # …)

ice-9/boot-9.scm:3329:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
no code for module (guix i18n)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, the command guix home reconfigure home-config.scm does not generate any error, so I don't understand why guix complain about a missing module related to internationalization.

I am using guix, the package manager, on a Fedora 34 distribution.

Below is my home-config.scm file content:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(use-modules (gnu home)
(gnu home services)
(gnu home services shells)
(gnu services)
(gnu packages admin)
(gnu packages python-xyz)
(gnu packages password-utils)
(gnu packages dunst)
(gnu packages disk)
(gnu packages backup)
(gnu packages libreoffice)
(gnu packages guile)
(gnu packages xdisorg)
(gnu packages tls)
(gnu packages vpn)
(gnu packages terminals)
(guix gexp))

(home-environment
(packages (list htop glances password-store dunst ranger restic hunspell
;; hunspell-dict-fr hunspell-dict-en
;; guile
neofetch xdotool openssl openvpn xscreensaver alacritty))
(services
(list
(service home-zsh-service-type
(home-zsh-configuration
(xdg-flavor? #t)
(zshrc (list (local-file "zshrc"))))))))
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any idea what might cause such trouble?

Roland Everaert
---
Use the F.O.S.S., Luke

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) Secure Email.

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: i18n guix module error when opening shell after guix home reconfigure
  2022-01-05 10:00 i18n guix module error when opening shell after guix home reconfigure Roland Everaert via
@ 2022-01-07 21:38 ` Jelle Licht
  2022-01-17  6:55   ` Fredrik Salomonsson
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 3+ messages in thread
From: Jelle Licht @ 2022-01-07 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roland Everaert, help-guix


Hello Roland,

Sad prefix: I don't have a solution for you, nor am I a guix home
expert, but I can confirm that I also run into the issue. 

On my VM, I actually used an almost-default bash configuration, but run
into the very same issue.

Roland Everaert via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> First, happy new year and best wishes for this year.
>
> I have updated my guix home configuration to use my zsh config instead of a blank bash configuration.
>
> Unfortunatelly, when I logout and login again, I face the following errors:
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Backtrace:
> 9 (primitive-load "/home/roland/.guix-home/on-first-login")
> In ice-9/eval.scm:
> 721:20 8 (primitive-eval (begin (use-modules (guix i18n)) (# …) …))
> In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
> 1230:36 7 (expand-top-sequence ((begin (use-modules (guix …)) …)) …)
> 1090:25 6 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # …)) …)
> 1222:19 5 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # …)) …)
> 259:10 4 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) (()) _ c&e (eval) …)
> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
> 3927:20 3 (process-use-modules _)
> 222:17 2 (map1 (((guix i18n))))
> 3928:31 1 (_ ((guix i18n)))
> 3329:6 0 (resolve-interface (guix i18n) #:select _ #:hide _ # _ # …)
>
> ice-9/boot-9.scm:3329:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
> no code for module (guix i18n)

It seems that my $HOME/.guix-home/on-first-login assumes that guix's
guile modules are available to the guile interpreter that is listed in
the shebang;

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> However, the command guix home reconfigure home-config.scm does not generate any error, so I don't understand why guix complain about a missing module related to internationalization.

>
> I am using guix, the package manager, on a Fedora 34 distribution.
>
> Below is my home-config.scm file content:
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> (use-modules (gnu home)
> (gnu home services)
> (gnu home services shells)
> (gnu services)
> (gnu packages admin)
> (gnu packages python-xyz)
> (gnu packages password-utils)
> (gnu packages dunst)
> (gnu packages disk)
> (gnu packages backup)
> (gnu packages libreoffice)
> (gnu packages guile)
> (gnu packages xdisorg)
> (gnu packages tls)
> (gnu packages vpn)
> (gnu packages terminals)
> (guix gexp))
>
> (home-environment
> (packages (list htop glances password-store dunst ranger restic hunspell
> ;; hunspell-dict-fr hunspell-dict-en
> ;; guile
> neofetch xdotool openssl openvpn xscreensaver alacritty))
> (services
> (list
> (service home-zsh-service-type
> (home-zsh-configuration
> (xdg-flavor? #t)
> (zshrc (list (local-file "zshrc"))))))))
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Any idea what might cause such trouble?


If you are not worried about temporarily running some older software,
could you try and see if running:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
guix time-machine --commit=2719dfa631 -- home reconfigure your-home-config.scm
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

works for you? This will get guix to use an older copy of itself to
build and 'install' your home environment.

Thanks!
 - Jelle


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: i18n guix module error when opening shell after guix home reconfigure
  2022-01-07 21:38 ` Jelle Licht
@ 2022-01-17  6:55   ` Fredrik Salomonsson
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 3+ messages in thread
From: Fredrik Salomonsson @ 2022-01-17  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jelle Licht, Roland Everaert, help-guix

Hi,

Jelle Licht <jlicht@fsfe.org> writes:

> Hello Roland,
>
> Sad prefix: I don't have a solution for you, nor am I a guix home
> expert, but I can confirm that I also run into the issue. 
>
> On my VM, I actually used an almost-default bash configuration, but run
> into the very same issue.
>
> Roland Everaert via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> First, happy new year and best wishes for this year.
>>
>> I have updated my guix home configuration to use my zsh config instead of a blank bash configuration.
>>
>> Unfortunatelly, when I logout and login again, I face the following errors:
>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Backtrace:
>> 9 (primitive-load "/home/roland/.guix-home/on-first-login")
>> In ice-9/eval.scm:
>> 721:20 8 (primitive-eval (begin (use-modules (guix i18n)) (# …) …))
>> In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
>> 1230:36 7 (expand-top-sequence ((begin (use-modules (guix …)) …)) …)
>> 1090:25 6 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # …)) …)
>> 1222:19 5 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # …)) …)
>> 259:10 4 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) (()) _ c&e (eval) …)
>> In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
>> 3927:20 3 (process-use-modules _)
>> 222:17 2 (map1 (((guix i18n))))
>> 3928:31 1 (_ ((guix i18n)))
>> 3329:6 0 (resolve-interface (guix i18n) #:select _ #:hide _ # _ # …)
>>
>> ice-9/boot-9.scm:3329:6: In procedure resolve-interface:
>> no code for module (guix i18n)
>
> It seems that my $HOME/.guix-home/on-first-login assumes that guix's
> guile modules are available to the guile interpreter that is listed in
> the shebang;
>
>> Any idea what might cause such trouble?
>
> If you are not worried about temporarily running some older software,
> could you try and see if running:
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> guix time-machine --commit=2719dfa631 -- home reconfigure your-home-config.scm
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> works for you? This will get guix to use an older copy of itself to
> build and 'install' your home environment.

I'm also encountering this issue running guix on a foreign distro. Not
sure which commit it stopped working, but it's broken in:

172bd0b5cde2609389fd16d18862b5b612c4b000

works when I use the guix time-machine command above.

-- 
s/Fred[re]+i[ck]+/Fredrik/g


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2022-01-17  6:56 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2022-01-05 10:00 i18n guix module error when opening shell after guix home reconfigure Roland Everaert via
2022-01-07 21:38 ` Jelle Licht
2022-01-17  6:55   ` Fredrik Salomonsson

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).