unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* docker containers stop when doing guix install
@ 2022-04-28  8:22 Remco van 't Veer
From: Remco van 't Veer @ 2022-04-28  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Why are (some) running docker containers stopped when doing guix install
or other guix operations like pull?  I noticed this happing to mysql and
postgres containers but an elasticsearch container just keeps running.

Is stopping containers on guix actions on purpose and, if so, why?  Why
aren't all containers stopped?

Thanks,
Remco

* Re: docker containers stop when doing guix install
@ 2022-05-09  9:01 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-05-09  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco van 't Veer, help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 at 10:22, Remco van 't Veer <remco@remworks.net> wrote:
> Why are (some) running docker containers stopped when doing guix install
> or other guix operations like pull?  I noticed this happing to mysql and
> postgres containers but an elasticsearch container just keeps running.
>
> Is stopping containers on guix actions on purpose and, if so, why?  Why
> aren't all containers stopped?

Where is “guix pull”?  Outside or inside the container?  Is Guix
managing the containers or other tools?

The issue seems to come from how the containers are managed so the
answer of “why” would probably be somewhere in the configuration
files. ;-)

Cheers,
simon

* Re: docker containers stop when doing guix install
@ 2022-05-09 10:04   ` Remco van 't Veer
From: Remco van 't Veer @ 2022-05-09 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

2022/05/09 11:01, zimoun:

> On Thu, 28 Apr 2022 at 10:22, Remco van 't Veer <remco@remworks.net> wrote:
>> Why are (some) running docker containers stopped when doing guix install
>> or other guix operations like pull?  I noticed this happing to mysql and
>> postgres containers but an elasticsearch container just keeps running.
>>
>> Is stopping containers on guix actions on purpose and, if so, why?  Why
>> aren't all containers stopped?
>
> Where is “guix pull”?  Outside or inside the container?  Is Guix
> managing the containers or other tools?

Outside in the guix installation which runs the docker service defined
using:

  (service docker-service-type)

> The issue seems to come from how the containers are managed so the
> answer of “why” would probably be somewhere in the configuration
> files. ;-)

The docker images are images like "postgres:10.10" taken from docker hub
so nothing special.  It seems the docker-services sends signals to
process running in managed containers and some of those process stop?

Cheers,
R.

* Re: docker containers stop when doing guix install
@ 2022-05-09 13:39     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-05-09 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco van 't Veer; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Mon, 09 May 2022 at 12:04, Remco van 't Veer <remco@remworks.net> wrote:

> Outside in the guix installation which runs the docker service defined
> using:
>
>   (service docker-service-type)

[...]

> The docker images are images like "postgres:10.10" taken from docker hub
> so nothing special.  It seems the docker-services sends signals to
> process running in managed containers and some of those process stop?

It is not easy to connect the dots. :-)

IIUC, you are running Guix System and using the ’docker-service-type’.
Right?

You have several Docker images running.  This images are launched via
the ’docker-service-type’, right?

Unrelated to Docker, when you run one Guix subcommand as “guix install”
or “guix pull”, then the some Docker images are stopped as the ones
containing mysql or postgres, whereas the other containing an
elasticsearch still runs.  Right?

Could you be precise on which containers downloaded from where are
working and which containers downloaded from where are stopped?

Other said, how can I reproduce the bug?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: docker containers stop when doing guix install
@ 2022-05-09 14:54       ` Remco van 't Veer
From: Remco van 't Veer @ 2022-05-09 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

2022/05/09 15:39, zimoun:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 09 May 2022 at 12:04, Remco van 't Veer <remco@remworks.net> wrote:
>
>> Outside in the guix installation which runs the docker service defined
>> using:
>>
>>   (service docker-service-type)
>
> [...]
>
>> The docker images are images like "postgres:10.10" taken from docker hub
>> so nothing special.  It seems the docker-services sends signals to
>> process running in managed containers and some of those process stop?
>
> It is not easy to connect the dots. :-)
>
> IIUC, you are running Guix System and using the ’docker-service-type’.
> Right?

Yes.

> You have several Docker images running.  This images are launched via
> the ’docker-service-type’, right?

Yes.

> Unrelated to Docker, when you run one Guix subcommand as “guix install”
> or “guix pull”, then the some Docker images are stopped as the ones
> containing mysql or postgres, whereas the other containing an
> elasticsearch still runs.  Right?

Guix install, shell or pull.  And yes, some are stopped but some (for
instance elasticsearch) still run.

> Could you be precise on which containers downloaded from where are
> working and which containers downloaded from where are stopped?
>
> Other said, how can I reproduce the bug?

As follows:

  $ docker ps
  CONTAINER ID  IMAGE           COMMAND                  CREATED         STATUS        PORTS     NAMES
  $ docker run -d postgres:10.10
  ..
  2b52ee072b1f5584cae597afb033cdcc0e560bbe9145b17b41502c204034e60b
  $ docker ps
  CONTAINER ID  IMAGE           COMMAND                  CREATED         STATUS        PORTS     NAMES
  2b52ee072b1f  postgres:10.10  "docker-entrypoint.s…"  2 seconds ago   Up 1 seconds  5432/tcp  blah_blah
  $ guix shell xeyes -- xeyes
  substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
  0.0 MB will be downloaded
   xeyes-1.1.2  11KiB                                                                           613KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
  The following derivation will be built:
    /gnu/store/xc002hxl4g8mskqmpm0grsk8s45m91gz-profile.drv

  applying 4 grafts for xeyes-1.1.2 ...
  building CA certificate bundle...
  listing Emacs sub-directories...
  building fonts directory...
  building directory of Info manuals...
  building profile with 1 package...
  $ docker ps
  CONTAINER ID  IMAGE           COMMAND                  CREATED         STATUS        PORTS     NAMES
  $ exit

First we see no docker containers are running, then we start postgres-10
from docker hub, now we see its container is running, then we do
something using guix-shell on an application *not already available on
this system*, now the container died.  This does not work the second
time when the "derivation" is already "built".

Weird huh?

Cheers,

@ 2022-05-10 17:47         ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-05-10 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Remco van 't Veer; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Mon, 09 May 2022 at 16:54, Remco van 't Veer <remco@remworks.net> wrote:
> 2022/05/09 15:39, zimoun:

>> Other said, how can I reproduce the bug?
>
> As follows:
>
>   $ docker ps
>   CONTAINER ID  IMAGE           COMMAND                  CREATED         STATUS        PORTS     NAMES
>   $ docker run -d postgres:10.10
>   ..
>   2b52ee072b1f5584cae597afb033cdcc0e560bbe9145b17b41502c204034e60b
>   $ docker ps
>   CONTAINER ID  IMAGE           COMMAND                  CREATED         STATUS        PORTS     NAMES
>   2b52ee072b1f  postgres:10.10  "docker-entrypoint.s…"  2 seconds ago   Up 1 seconds  5432/tcp  blah_blah
>   $ guix shell xeyes -- xeyes
>   substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
>   0.0 MB will be downloaded
>    xeyes-1.1.2  11KiB                                                                           613KiB/s 00:00 [##################] 100.0%
>   The following derivation will be built:
>     /gnu/store/xc002hxl4g8mskqmpm0grsk8s45m91gz-profile.drv
>
>   applying 4 grafts for xeyes-1.1.2 ...
>   building CA certificate bundle...
>   listing Emacs sub-directories...
>   building fonts directory...
>   building directory of Info manuals...
>   building profile with 1 package...
>   $ docker ps
>   CONTAINER ID  IMAGE           COMMAND                  CREATED         STATUS        PORTS     NAMES
>   $ exit

Thanks.

> First we see no docker containers are running, then we start postgres-10
> from docker hub, now we see its container is running, then we do
> something using guix-shell on an application *not already available on
> this system*, now the container died.  This does not work the second
> time when the "derivation" is already "built".
>
> Weird huh?

Hum, probably a bug from the ’docker-service-type’.  Could you open a
bug report by sending the information for reproducing to
bug-guix@gnu.org?

Thanks,
simon