unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* IPFS p2p integration
@ 2021-01-29 14:50 Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
From: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli @ 2021-01-29 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Good day Guix folks!
I'm very excited about the initiative on IPFS integration, introducing
the opportunity for Guix to become the first p2p-enabled Distribution!

I was wondering if actually there was the opportunity to test this
feature, and if actual authors would need a volunteer for
experimenting the implementation :)

Have a nice hacking day,
Matias

* Re: IPFS p2p integration
@ 2021-01-30 16:16 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-01-30 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli; +Cc: help-guix

Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli <matias_jose_seco@autoproduzioni.net>
writes:

> Good day Guix folks!
> I'm very excited about the initiative on IPFS integration, introducing
> the opportunity for Guix to become the first p2p-enabled Distribution!
>
> I was wondering if actually there was the opportunity to test this
> feature, and if actual authors would need a volunteer for
> experimenting the implementation :)

Hey Matias!  There are a couple of IPFS git branches that are available:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?h=wip-ipfs-substitutes

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?h=wip-ipfs

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?h=wip-ipfs2

I suspect that you can compile the WIP (work in progress)
ipfs-substitutes branch and test out the feature.  Please post back and
report how it went, because I'd like to know!

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: IPFS p2p integration
@ 2021-01-30 18:45   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-01-30 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson, Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 11:16, Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:
> Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli <matias_jose_seco@autoproduzioni.net>
> writes:
>
>> Good day Guix folks!
>> I'm very excited about the initiative on IPFS integration, introducing
>> the opportunity for Guix to become the first p2p-enabled Distribution!

Well, even if Ludo’s proposed patches long time ago (see patch#33899
from ~2018), Nix is more advanced on the topic and it already looks like
p2p-enable distribution.  See for instance [1] and some tangent [2].

1: <https://blog.ipfs.io/2020-09-08-nix-ipfs-milestone-1/>
2: <https://www.tweag.io/blog/2020-09-10-nix-cas/>

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/?h=wip-ipfs-substitutes

If I remember correctly, it works with Guile 2.2, so it is not as
straightforward as a simple checkout and build from source.

Well, Maxime did a rebase on the top of
08d8c2d3c08e4f35325553e75abc76da40630334 (committed on Dec. 2020):

  <http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/33899#21>

But personally never tried.  Any taker?  And post who is going here.

A lot a love is missing here, well maybe more a volunteer than love. :-)

Cheers,
simon