unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Which package installed which dependency?
@ 2020-07-12  0:06 Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2020-07-12  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I'm pretty sure I remembered such a feature existing but now I can't
find it.

I have a system configuration, and alarmingly I see it building PHP.
PHP???  What on earth in this system configuration needs PHP?

I'd love to see some sort of tree, or blame feature, that would allow me
to see "oh yeah, that's how the php got in there".

Does such a feature exist?

* Re: Which package installed which dependency?
@ 2020-07-12  0:19 ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2020-07-12  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-guix

Christopher Lemmer Webber writes:

> I'm pretty sure I remembered such a feature existing but now I can't
> find it.
>
> I have a system configuration, and alarmingly I see it building PHP.
> PHP???  What on earth in this system configuration needs PHP?
>
> I'd love to see some sort of tree, or blame feature, that would allow me
> to see "oh yeah, that's how the php got in there".
>
> Does such a feature exist?

FWIW, I figured out what it was, I think.... libsoup wanted php for its
unit tests.  Ok, less disturbing!

Still would be neat to know what this feature is, but not urgent.

* Re: Which package installed which dependency?
@ 2020-07-12  9:31   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-07-12  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

Maybe `guix gc --referrers PATH' is what you are looking for.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Which package installed which dependency?
@ 2020-07-12 10:24 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-07-12 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber, help-guix

Dear,

On Sat, 11 Jul 2020 at 20:06, Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I remembered such a feature existing but now I can't
> find it.
>
> I have a system configuration, and alarmingly I see it building PHP.
> PHP???  What on earth in this system configuration needs PHP?
>
> I'd love to see some sort of tree, or blame feature, that would allow me
> to see "oh yeah, that's how the php got in there".
>
> Does such a feature exist?

You could be interested by "guix graph --path" which returns the
shortest path (graph meaning) from package A to package PHP.

Hope that helps,
simon

* Re: Which package installed which dependency?
@ 2020-07-12 11:10   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-07-12 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Christopher Lemmer Webber, help-guix

zimoun 写道:
> You could be interested by "guix graph --path" which returns the
> shortest path (graph meaning) from package A to package PHP.

I love this feature but it only works between high-level packages.

Is there an equivalent (say):

  λ guix graph --path /run/current-system/profile php

?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Which package installed which dependency?
@ 2020-07-12 11:43     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-07-12 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, zimoun

Le 12 juillet 2020 07:10:06 GMT-04:00, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> a écrit :
>zimoun 写道:
>> You could be interested by "guix graph --path" which returns the
>> shortest path (graph meaning) from package A to package PHP.
>
>I love this feature but it only works between high-level packages.
>
>Is there an equivalent (say):
>
>  λ guix graph --path /run/current-system/profile php
>
>?
>
>Kind regards,
>
>T G-R

Try

guix graph --path -t references `readlink -f /run/current-system` php

* Re: Which package installed which dependency?
@ 2020-07-12 13:06       ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-07-12 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix, zimoun, Christopher Lemmer Webber

Julien Lepiller 写道:
> Try
>
> guix graph --path -t references `readlink -f
> /run/current-system` php

Thanks!  I tried all ‘guix graph’ permutations I could think of,
including that one, but:

  λ guix graph --path -t references `readlink -f
  /run/current-system` bash
  guix graph: error: no path from '/gnu/store/cca…-system' to
  '/gnu/store/vk4…-bash-5.0.16-doc'

The guix command above is the same version of Guix that built
current-system, and current-system's closure does contain that
bash's :out.

I'm sure I simply don't understand exactly how ‘guix graph’ works.
In fact I'm certain of it.  That's something I can fix.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Which package installed which dependency?
@ 2020-07-12 13:42         ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2020-07-12 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Tobias,

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 15:06, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> wrote:

>   λ guix graph --path -t references `readlink -f
>   /run/current-system` bash
>   guix graph: error: no path from '/gnu/store/cca…-system' to
>   '/gnu/store/vk4…-bash-5.0.16-doc'
>
> The guix command above is the same version of Guix that built
> current-system, and current-system's closure does contain that
> bash's :out.
>
> I'm sure I simply don't understand exactly how ‘guix graph’ works.
> In fact I'm certain of it.  That's something I can fix.

I think you identified one of the improvement already discussed when
introducing [1] the command. :-)

1: http://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/41164#12

Basically, "guix graph --path" does not manage correctly the packages
with several outputs.

Maybe you could open a bug report for remembering to fix. :-)

All the best,
simon