unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Starting ssh service
@ 2016-04-08 10:24 Dick Middleton
From: Dick Middleton @ 2016-04-08 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

	Just started playing with Guix and am trying to get ssh to start as a service.

My system is configured using the standard desktop example config.scm given
with the installation.

I'm trying to add the relevant bits from the simple example in reference guide
  "7.2.1 Using the Configuration System".

i.e I've added:

(use-service-modules networking ssh)
(services (cons* (lsh-service) %base-services))

guix reconfigure complains with this error: ssh-daemon requires 'networking'
which is undefined.

Do I have to install something (why is it not already installed?) or am I
doing something wrong?

Thanks

Dick

--
Dick Middleton
dick@fouter.net

* Re: Starting ssh service
@ 2016-04-08 15:16 ` 宋文武
From: 宋文武 @ 2016-04-08 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dick Middleton; +Cc: help-guix

Dick Middleton <dick@fouter.net> writes:

> Hello,
Hi!

> 	Just started playing with Guix and am trying to get ssh to start as a service.
>
> My system is configured using the standard desktop example config.scm given
> with the installation.
>
> I'm trying to add the relevant bits from the simple example in reference guide
>   "7.2.1 Using the Configuration System".
>
> i.e I've added:
>
> (use-service-modules networking ssh)
> (services (cons* (lsh-service) %base-services))
The desktop example use '%desktop-services' (in gnu/services/desktop.scm).
It contain services like dbus, slim, and wicd, etc.

wicd-service is provide the 'networking'.

> guix reconfigure complains with this error: ssh-daemon requires 'networking'
> which is undefined.
>
> Do I have to install something (why is it not already installed?) or am I
> doing something wrong?
You can use '%desktop-services' (or add 'wicd-service' or others.
see the 7.2.7.2 Networking Services section of the manual).

Hope it helps!

* Re: Starting ssh service
@ 2016-04-11  9:48   ` Dick Middleton
From: Dick Middleton @ 2016-04-11  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 04/08/16 16:16, 宋文武 wrote:
> Dick Middleton <dick@fouter.net> writes:

>> Just started playing with Guix and am trying to get ssh to start as a
>> service.

> wicd-service is provide the 'networking'.
>>

> You can use '%desktop-services' (or add 'wicd-service' or others. see the
> 7.2.7.2 Networking Services section of the manual).

Placing lsh-service in %desktop-services allows guix to complete reconfigure
but it doesn't start the service.

If instead I order assigning %base-services and %desktop-services so
%base-services comes first (that was perhaps my mistake) then the build
proceeds.  However now lshd starts at boot time but the desktop GUI doesn't.

How should I configure a server with a GUI?

Dick

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss))
(use-service-modules desktop ssh)
(use-package-modules certs)

(operating-system
  (host-name "antelope")
  (timezone "Europe/London")
  (locale "en_US.UTF-8")

  ;; Assuming /dev/sdX is the target hard disk, and "my-root"
  ;; is the label of the target root file system.
  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "GUIX")
                        (title 'label)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "dick")
                (comment "Alice's brother")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/dick"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   %base-packages))

  (services (cons* (lsh-service #:port-number 22
                                #:daemonic? #t
                                #:root-login? #t)
                   %base-services))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with Wicd,
  ;; and more.
  (services (cons*
             (xfce-desktop-service)
;;           (gnome-desktop-service)
             %desktop-services))
  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

* Re: Starting ssh service
@ 2016-04-11 17:15     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2016-04-11 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dick Middleton; +Cc: help-guix

Dick Middleton (2016-04-11 12:48 +0300) wrote:

> Placing lsh-service in %desktop-services allows guix to complete reconfigure
> but it doesn't start the service.

Do you mean that when you use:

  (services (cons* (lsh-service #:port-number 22
                                #:daemonic? #t
                                #:root-login? #t)
                   %base-services))

the server is started, but with:

  (services (cons*
             (xfce-desktop-service)
             (lsh-service #:port-number 22
                          #:daemonic? #t
                          #:root-login? #t)
             %desktop-services))

it is not, right?

If so, I have no idea how this could happen.

> If instead I order assigning %base-services and %desktop-services so
> %base-services comes first (that was perhaps my mistake) then the build
> proceeds.  However now lshd starts at boot time but the desktop GUI doesn't.
[...]
>   (services (cons* (lsh-service #:port-number 22
>                                 #:daemonic? #t
>                                 #:root-login? #t)
>                    %base-services))
>
>   ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
>   ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
>   ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with Wicd,
>   ;; and more.
>   (services (cons*
>              (xfce-desktop-service)
> ;;           (gnome-desktop-service)
>              %desktop-services))

'services' (and any other field) should be specified only once.
Apparently the first one (with %base-services) has a preference, so ssh
server is started and desktop services are not.

--
Alex

* Re: Starting ssh service
@ 2016-04-11 18:48 ` myglc2
From: myglc2 @ 2016-04-11 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Dick Middleton <dick@fouter.net> writes:

> Hello,
>
> 	Just started playing with Guix and am trying to get ssh to start as a service.
>
> My system is configured using the standard desktop example config.scm given
> with the installation.
>
> I'm trying to add the relevant bits from the simple example in reference guide
>   "7.2.1 Using the Configuration System".
>
> i.e I've added:
>
> (use-service-modules networking ssh)
> (services (cons* (lsh-service) %base-services))
>
> guix reconfigure complains with this error: ssh-daemon requires 'networking'
> which is undefined.
>
> Do I have to install something (why is it not already installed?) or am I
> doing something wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dick

This sounds similar to issues I ran into with a headless server running
GuixSD a month or so ago (have since switched to Guix/Debian).

I ended up with lsh-service providing sshd (the ssh server) and openssh
providing ssh (the ssh client).

The config is split with sshd in the system config and ssh in the
per-user config.

There may be a more sane approach, but this did work and, FWIW, I have
attached the actual configs.

HTH, - George

[-- Attachment #2: c06glc.scm --]

(use-package-modules
 aspell
 gettext
 ghostscript ;; gs-fonts
 fonts ;; font-dejavu font-gnu-freefont-ttf
 base
 ssh rsync wget screen
 version-control
 emacs
  ;; so we can make guix w/o guix environment
 autotools ;; automake
 texlive ;; texlive-minimal
 curl
 xorg certs
 graphviz
 )
(packages->manifest
 (list
  ;;  gnu-gettext
  gs-fonts font-dejavu font-gnu-freefont-ttf
  gnu-make
  openssh nss-certs xauth rsync wget git git-manpages
  emacs magit screen aspell aspell-dict-en
  ;; so we can make guix w/o guix environment
  texlive-minimal  automake
  curl ;; lpaste
  graphviz
  ))

[-- Attachment #3: c06system.scm --]

(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules networking ssh)
(use-package-modules admin
		     disk
		     )
(operating-system
  (host-name "g1")
  (timezone "America/New_York")
  (locale "en_US.utf8")
  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
  (file-systems (cons (file-system
			(device "g1sd")
			(title 'label)
			(mount-point "/")
			(type "ext4"))
		      %base-file-systems))
  (users (cons* (user-account
		 (name "glc")
		 (comment "g l c")
		 (group "users")
		 (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
		 (home-directory "/home/glc"))
		(user-account
		 (name "glc2")
		 (comment "glc2")
		 (group "users")
		 (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
		 (home-directory "/home/glc2"))
		(user-account
		 (name "glc3")
		 (comment "glc3")
		 (group "users")
		 (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
		 (home-directory "/home/glc3"))
		(user-account
		 (name "glc4")
		 (comment "glc4")
		 (group "users")
		 (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
		 (home-directory "/home/glc4"))
		(user-account
		 (name "glc5")
		 (comment "glc5")
		 (group "users")
		 (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
		 (home-directory "/home/glc5"))
		(user-account
		 (name "glc6")
		 (comment "glc6")
		 (group "users")
		 (supplementary-groups '("wheel"))
		 (home-directory "/home/glc6"))
		%base-user-accounts))
  (packages
   (cons*
    glibc-utf8-locales
    parted
    %base-packages))
  (services (cons* (dhcp-client-service)
		   (lsh-service #:port-number 22)
		   %base-services)))

* Re: Starting ssh service
@ 2016-04-12 13:50       ` Dick Middleton
From: Dick Middleton @ 2016-04-12 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 04/11/16 18:15, Alex Kost wrote:
> Dick Middleton (2016-04-11 12:48 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Placing lsh-service in %desktop-services allows guix to complete reconfigure
>> but it doesn't start the service.

> If so, I have no idea how this could happen.

Ah, but I think you do ...

> 'services' (and any other field) should be specified only once.

That explains a lot.

I'll try again.  Many thanks

Dick