unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix pack on Linux kernel
@ 2021-07-24 21:06 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2021-07-24 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

question the Guix documentation says a bundle created  from guix pack
can run on machines running the Linux kernel.  Does this mean such a
bundle can possibly run on Linux kernel with any C library, or just
GNU/Linux? (providing no other blocking factors, such as the hardware
or driver needed is present; thus I ignore for example lack of X
Windows for graphics programs, etc.)

(of course the most common such machine would be Android devices)

* Re: guix pack on Linux kernel
@ 2021-07-24 21:24 ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2021-07-24 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

reference to the said GUix document page:

https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2017/creating-bundles-with-guix-pack/

"because Guix captures the complete dependency graph of packages, the
tarball contains everything that’s needed to run <program bundled> and
is going to work in exactly the same way on any system that runs the
kernel Linux!"

@ 2021-07-24 21:48 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-07-24 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: help-guix

Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> writes:

> question the Guix documentation says a bundle created  from guix
> pack
> can run on machines running the Linux kernel.  Does this mean
> such a
> bundle can possibly run on Linux kernel with any C library, or
> just
> GNU/Linux?

The pack includes the C library, so the host C library does not
matter.

--
Ricardo

* Re: guix pack on Linux kernel
@ 2021-07-25 23:16   ` Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2021-07-25 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

sorry for the series of questions, but a follow on question:

If I create and distribute such a guix pack bundle, is there an easy
way to create a tar.gz file containing the sources to fit GPL
requirements?  I assume now there is no guix command to create a
"source pack" for a guix pack.   Even if there is, can a tar.gz of the
directories of the sources be enough to re-create the binary pack?
Or basically the user shall have the full guix git repo built locally,
plus the sources of the programs bundled, before he or she can
re-create the guix pack.

Question is essentially how to meet GPL requirements (user given the
sources to be able to recreate the binaries distributed from these
sources) for a guix pack.  Thanks

--
Andy Tai, atai@atai.org, Skype: licheng.tai, Line: andy_tai, WeChat: andytai1010
Year 2021 民國110年

* Re: guix pack on Linux kernel
@ 2021-08-17 12:55     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-08-17 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 at 16:16, Andy Tai <atai@atai.org> wrote:
> sorry for the series of questions, but a follow on question:
>
> If I create and distribute such a guix pack bundle, is there an easy
> way to create a tar.gz file containing the sources to fit GPL
> requirements?  I assume now there is no guix command to create a
> "source pack" for a guix pack.   Even if there is, can a tar.gz of the
> directories of the sources be enough to re-create the binary pack?
> Or basically the user shall have the full guix git repo built locally,
> plus the sources of the programs bundled, before he or she can
> re-create the guix pack.
>
> Question is essentially how to meet GPL requirements (user given the
> sources to be able to recreate the binaries distributed from these
> sources) for a guix pack.  Thanks

You can get the source with “guix build --source” but indeed I do not
know how to get from the CLI an archive containing all the sources.
However, the API provides all the tools to write a script for “guix
repl”. :-)

All the best,
simon