unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Correct formatting of Guile in Emacs
@ 2021-02-01 21:03 Phil
From: Phil @ 2021-02-01 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

I'm in a position where I have quite a few packages built that I'd like
to contribute to Guix.

I'm writing these in emacs with scheme-mode/geiser installed.  However
I've noted that any attempt to align my Guile code (eg M-x indent-region)
results in code being aligned under the previous lines' parameter rather
than simply indenting.

So my code looks much wider, and uglier (IMHO) than that in the Guix repo:

(something like
  (this type
    (of format)))

ends up being reformated by Emacs to look like this:

(something like
           (this type
                 (of format)))

The more nesting and split lines the crazier this gets.  Some packages
are unreadable using emacs' default scheme indentation without a large monitor!

It seems like an simple question (hopefully not too off-topic!) - but
how do I make Emacs conform to code alignments rules adopted by Guile/Guix repo?

Is there an off-the-shelf setting, package or setup I can use?

The Guile manual mentions "Emacs has good support for Scheme out of the
box, with sensible indentation rules" - but these defaults seem at odds
with the Guix repo (or I'm doing something daft!):

https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Using-Guile-in-Emacs.html#Using-Guile-in-Emacs

Thanks,
Phil.

* Re: Correct formatting of Guile in Emacs
@ 2021-02-01 21:18 ` Cameron
From: Cameron @ 2021-02-01 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: julia.galaman--- via

Hi Phil,

I haven't done this myself, but the manual has a page on this: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Formatting-Code.html

From this, it seems like the 'emacs-guix' package has a 'guix-devel-mode' that should indent per the Guix style guide.

-Cam

@ 2021-02-01 22:15   ` Phil
From: Phil @ 2021-02-01 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Cameron writes:

> Hi Phil,
>
> I haven't done this myself, but the manual has a page on this: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Formatting-Code.html

That's exactly what I needed thanks, and apologies - I should have spotted that myself
in the manual!