Hi Julien, thanks for your explanation >> How did you get this list of store items? I simply used "catfish" to look for "TraditionalGreen" and it gave me those 4 packages. >> The second is the content of a system generation. You probably installed mate in your system :). The system generation is also the union of packages that you declared, so it includes mate, and consequently, the theme. When I installed Guix, it gave me only 3 options of desktops: MATE, Enlightment and Awesome. That's why I installed all three of them. I knew only MATE, I didn't know what Enlightment and Awesome was, so I installed them to get to know them. There was no Gnome, XFCE, KDE ... available. So I was wondering why some Guixers have e.g. Gnome or XFCE installed. Now checking in the Guix Packages I found Gnome and XFCE available, but no KDE. KDE, AFAIK isn't available at the moment. Is that right? >> If possible, please don't use a store path in your configuration. If you update the system, the new version will be at a different location (even if the version number is the same, as you've seen with mate-themes). It might get garbage-collected and will definitely get out of date. >> I didn't do anything. It was installed this way when I installed Guix System. In which other location Guix will install the new version? >> Instead, you should reference a theme by its name only. If mate lets you, try to set the theme to "TraditionalGreen" and that will always be the latest version. In my home folder there is a hidden folder with the name .icons and another one with the name .themes. I thought that in one ot those my "themes" will be stored. But when I looked for them, catfish found them in /gnu/store. Those tho folders are empty. So if I would be able to install new themes, I thought to install them there, but I don't know if Guix will find them, because as far as I know Guix will look in /gnu/store. Gottfried "hacking" on the basics Am 02.06.22 um 07:12 schrieb Julien Lepiller: > Hi Gottfried, > > How did you get this list of store items? > > The first one comes from "mate". That's a meta-package that contains the union of a bunch of packages that are needed to run mate. > > The second is the content of a system generation. You probably installed mate in your system :). The system generation is also the union of packages that you declared, so it includes mate, and consequently, the theme. > > The last two are different versions of "mate-themes". I don't know which is more recent. > > If possible, please don't use a store path in your configuration. If you update the system, the new version will be at a different location (even if the version number is the same, as you've seen with mate-themes). It might get garbage-collected and will definitely get out of date. > > Instead, you should reference a theme by its name only. If mate lets you, try to set the theme to "TraditionalGreen" and that will always be the latest version. > > HTH! > > On June 1, 2022 9:03:39 PM GMT+02:00, Gottfried wrote: >> Hi guixers, >> >> e.g. >> >> I have in my MATE desktop a theme called "TraditionalGreen" >> >> There are several files. >> What is the difference? >> >> /gnu/store/09bi02ldaqsykdfi8szv225z4adl98hj-mate-1.24.1/share/themes/TraditionalGreen >> >> /gnu/store/65dvsqhxly3cs33m935amvg1wc38s1ii-system/profile/share/themes/TraditionalGreen >> >> /gnu/store/aqpb71z7nl1jbaxi7q2364x5hm2lsab9-mate-themes-3.22.21/share/themes/TraditionalGreen >> >> /gnu/store/y3cwrifdqvainwddij7zvk0lspvbpsia-mate-themes-3.22.21/share/themes/TraditionalGreen >> >> >> The 1. and 2. have a different Icon, it has something to do with a link (Verknüpfung german). >> >> Which one is used for the desktop? >> >> I want to learn the basics! >> >> Gottfried >