unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Getting Jitsi to work with IceCat
@ 2020-11-14  9:50 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-11-14  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guixers!

Since this has bitten me for a long time and it seems to trip many
IceCat users, I'd like to share a tip to get https://meet.jit.si/ to
work on IceCat:

- Install a user agent switcher extension like this one:
  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/uaswitcher/

- Switch to the latest Firefox user agent.  Make sure to apply the
  change to the right tab.

By the way, this seems to fix more than just Jitsi.

Happy Jitsing!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Getting Jitsi to work with IceCat
@ 2020-11-14 20:23 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2020-11-14 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

May I ask how you install add-ons with Icecat?

Every time I've tried to install an extension, I've gotten a complaint that this plugin is meant for Firefox.  Your version is not compatible.  Admittedly, I am trying to install Ad-Block Plus...Maybe that is a bit different.

And of course perhaps Guix should have a way to install add-ons for Icecat.

"guix package -i icecat-ad-block-plus", but that's a topic for another day.

@ 2020-11-14 22:48   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2020-11-14 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: help-guix

jbranso@dismail.de writes:

> May I ask how you install add-ons with Icecat?
>
> Every time I've tried to install an extension, I've gotten a complaint that this plugin is meant for Firefox.  Your version is not compatible.  Admittedly, I am trying to install Ad-Block Plus...Maybe that is a bit different.

You might want to try uBlock Origin instead. There’s been quite some
ugliness with "acceptable ads" and Ad-Block Plus (I hope uBlock Origin
does not do them…).

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

@ 2020-11-15  7:37 ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-11-15  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

This was very useful, thank you! I always assumed Jitsi didn't work with
Icecat. This isn't exactly Guix related, but it is such a common problem
for Guix users that it should probably go in the cookbook. Or even
better, our Icecat should be packaged to use a Firefox user agent by
default.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

* Re: Getting Jitsi to work with IceCat
@ 2020-11-15 11:08   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-11-15 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso, help-guix

jbranso@dismail.de writes:

> May I ask how you install add-ons with Icecat?

I've tried only this one add-on, and clicking on the  "+ Add to Firefox"
button worked for me.

I'm using 78.4.0esr.

--

@ 2020-11-15 11:09   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-11-15 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac, help-guix

Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> writes:

> This was very useful, thank you! I always assumed Jitsi didn't work with
> Icecat. This isn't exactly Guix related, but it is such a common problem
> for Guix users that it should probably go in the cookbook. Or even
> better, our Icecat should be packaged to use a Firefox user agent by
> default.

Yes, right?
Wanna file a bug about the IceCat user agent?

--

@ 2020-11-15 19:58   ` nylxs
From: nylxs @ 2020-11-15 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 11/15/20 2:37 AM, Arun Isaac wrote:
> it should probably go in the cookbook. Or even
> better, our Icecat should be packaged to use a Firefox user agent by
> default.

which is illegal

* Re: Getting Jitsi to work with IceCat
@ 2020-11-15 23:07     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-11-15 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Ruben,

nylxs 写道:
> On 11/15/20 2:37 AM, Arun Isaac wrote:
>> it should probably go in the cookbook. Or even
>> better, our Icecat should be packaged to use a Firefox user
>> agent by
>> default.
>
> which is illegal

Welcome back!  Please don't use our lists to spread
misinformation.  Especially such that might drive people away from
free(er) browsers, even though that's not your intention.

If you believe that adopting Firefox's User Agent string
constitutes a trademark violation, consider that of their most
notorious competitor:

  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36
  (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.105 Safari/537.36

At least 5 different trademarks with Mozilla's at the very front!
And... totally fine.

(I mean, technically it's a revolting abomination that can't meet
its demise[0] soon enough, but it's legally quite
uncontroversial. :-)

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent#Deprecation_of_User-Agent_header

@ 2020-11-16  6:21     ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2020-11-16  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, help-guix

> Yes, right?
> Wanna file a bug about the IceCat user agent?

Done! See bug#44678