unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* supercomputer available for use
@ 2019-02-13 18:39 quiliro
From: quiliro @ 2019-02-13 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

This supercomputer is available for investigational use.
https://hpc.yachay.gob.ec
Do you think it is worth it for the Guix project? I can ask for availability.

* Re: supercomputer available for use
@ 2019-02-14 19:24 ` Quiliro Ordonez
From: Quiliro Ordonez @ 2019-02-14 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

El 2019-02-13 13:39, quiliro@riseup.net escribió:
> This supercomputer is available for investigational use.
> https://hpc.yachay.gob.ec
> Do you think it is worth it for the Guix project? I can ask for availability.

I have scheduled a visit for thursday 21st. Is there anything you
suggest I should ask them for?

* Re: supercomputer available for use
@ 2019-02-15  2:29   ` Eric Bavier
From: Eric Bavier @ 2019-02-15  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordonez; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 11:24:10 -0800
Quiliro Ordonez <quiliro@riseup.net> wrote:

> El 2019-02-13 13:39, quiliro@riseup.net escribió:
> > This supercomputer is available for investigational use.
> > https://hpc.yachay.gob.ec
> > Do you think it is worth it for the Guix project? I can ask for availability.
>
> I have scheduled a visit for thursday 21st. Is there anything you
> suggest I should ask them for?

Interesting.

Do you have an HPC project/application in mind?  Several Guix
contributors have had success in deploying Guix onto clusters and using
Guix for their workflows.

Just a few observations with regard to the system's hardware: Using the
system's Nvidia Tesla GPUs might be difficult from core Guix, you'd
likely need to package cudatoolkit yourself. Ricardo was going to add
Infiniband support to our OpenMPI package soon.  As far as I can see,
that website doesn't mention the processor architecture being used.
But this website
https://openpowerfoundation.org/blogs/ecuador-supercomputing-yachay-openpower/
mentions the supercomputer is using OpenPOWER processors.  If that's
correct, there'd be a bit more work to do to get Guix to target it,
since we don't support that architecture yet, though I recall a few
users on IRC asking about it in relation to the Talos workstation,
iirc.

You could maybe also bring this up on guix-hpc@gnu.org

`~Eric

* Re: supercomputer available for use
@ 2019-02-17 18:34     ` Quiliro Ordonez
From: Quiliro Ordonez @ 2019-02-17 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix; +Cc: guix-hpc

El 2019-02-15 02:29, Eric Bavier escribió:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 11:24:10 -0800
> Quiliro Ordonez <quiliro@riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> El 2019-02-13 13:39, quiliro@riseup.net escribió:
>> > This supercomputer is available for investigational use.
>> > https://hpc.yachay.gob.ec
>> > Do you think it is worth it for the Guix project? I can ask for availability.
>>
>> I have scheduled a visit for thursday 21st. Is there anything you
>> suggest I should ask them for?
>>

> Interesting.
>
> Do you have an HPC project/application in mind?  Several Guix
> contributors have had success in deploying Guix onto clusters and using
> Guix for their workflows.
>
> Just a few observations with regard to the system's hardware: Using the
> system's Nvidia Tesla GPUs might be difficult from core Guix, you'd
> likely need to package cudatoolkit yourself. Ricardo was going to add
> Infiniband support to our OpenMPI package soon.  As far as I can see,
> that website doesn't mention the processor architecture being used.
> But this website
> https://openpowerfoundation.org/blogs/ecuador-supercomputing-yachay-openpower/
> mentions the supercomputer is using OpenPOWER processors.  If that's
> correct, there'd be a bit more work to do to get Guix to target it,
> since we don't support that architecture yet, though I recall a few
> users on IRC asking about it in relation to the Talos workstation,
> iirc.
>
> You could maybe also bring this up on guix-hpc@gnu.org
>
> `~Eric

Thank you for your message Eric.

I do not have the knowledge to hack on Guix much...yet. And by now you
can probably can see I have no application or project.

I was just thinking that it might be interesting or useful for Guix. And
that we could make a proposal to the university that may be advantageous
to both the Guix project and to them. If you have any proposals, I could
tell them about it.