unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How to define my dns servers in resolv
@ 2021-01-16 13:40 znavko--- via
From: znavko--- via @ 2021-01-16 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello! I cannot agree limitations my provider setup
with the orders of Russian government to forbid access
to this or that website, for example,
protonmail.com, tutanota.com, vpnbook.com are prohibited.
Does any civilized country do such a harm?

I wish to use my own DNS servers from free and secure services.
I want to start just to type them into /etc/resolv.conf

And may be further actions will be dnsmasq with wpa_supplicant
with your help.

Can I deal with resolv.conf without dnsmasq?

Can you advise me manual page or example where resolv.conf is
configured?? I did not find it except notes in dnsmasq configurations.

* Re: How to define my dns servers in resolv
@ 2021-01-16 15:26 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-01-16 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko@disroot.org; +Cc: help-guix

здравствуйте,

I'll try to do my best to help but I'm not the correct person
for it. I'll just try to give you some guidance you can follow
to find more info.

> Hello! I cannot agree limitations my provider setup
> with the orders of Russian government to forbid access
> to this or that website, for example,
> protonmail.com, tutanota.com, vpnbook.com are prohibited.
> Does any civilized country do such a harm?

I won't even try to answer to this.

> I wish to use my own DNS servers from free and secure services.
> I want to start just to type them into /etc/resolv.conf

You probably can.

> And may be further actions will be dnsmasq with wpa_supplicant
> with your help.
>
> Can I deal with resolv.conf without dnsmasq?

Yes, I think so, but I'm not sure about how all this network
stack works:

`network-manager-configuration` lets you choose a dns field. In that
you can say if you want the network manager to edit resolv.conf or not.
That might be helpful.

See: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Networking-Services.html#Networking-Services

> Can you advise me manual page or example where resolv.conf is
> configured?? I did not find it except notes in dnsmasq configurations.

You may be able to set it with `etc-service-type` ?

Good luck :)

* Re: How to define my dns servers in resolv
@ 2021-01-16 20:52 ` Ed Falis
From: Ed Falis @ 2021-01-16 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

znavko,

I'd contact protonMail support. They tend to be helpful, and are
sympathetic to your situation. This is likely to be a FAQ.

If you have web access to them currently:
https://protonmail.com/support-form?utm_source=auto&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=welcome&utm_content=text

If not:

support@protonmail.com

Good luck!