unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Stuck at virtual terminal login
@ 2021-04-14  2:26 Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-14  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I am having trouble signing into a virtual terminal.  This issue is only
happening on one computers I have Guix installed on.

If I follow these steps I can reproduce this issue after multiple
install attempts.

1) install Guix
   https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.2.0.i686-linux.iso.xz
2) reboot at the end of the install process
3) sign into a virtual terminal
4) do a pull and system reconfigure
5) reboot the system
6) decrypt root partition (keyboard is working)

When I get to a virtual terminal prompt the system seems to go
unresponsive.  As I type on the keyboard nothing shows up at the login
prompt.  Alt + function key does not switch to another virtual
terminal.

I can however sign in using ssh and use the computer.

Output of `guix describe`:

```
Generation 2    Apr 12 2021 20:12:42    (current)
  guix c311147
    repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
    branch: master
    commit: c311147bd16aa0e5746d9cbf31502f5fd61e470c
```

The system configuration:

```
(use-modules

  (gnu)

  (gnu packages admin)
  (gnu packages certs)
  (gnu packages emacs))

(use-service-modules desktop networking ssh xorg)

(operating-system

  (locale "en_US.utf8")

  (timezone "America/City")

  (keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "us" "dvp"))

  (host-name "host")

  (users (cons* (user-account
                  (name "user")
                  (comment "user")
                  (group "users")
                  (home-directory "/home/user")
                  (supplementary-groups
                    '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video")))
                %base-user-accounts))

  (packages
    (append
      (list
        emacs
        nss-certs
        wpa-supplicant)
      %base-packages))

  (services
    (append
      (list (service openssh-service-type)
            (service dhcp-client-service-type))
      %base-services))

  (bootloader
    (bootloader-configuration
      (bootloader grub-bootloader)
      (target "/dev/sda")
      (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)))

  (mapped-devices
    (list (mapped-device
            (source
              (uuid "a23e567c-096e-4bf0-9f12-b363be434cec"))
            (target "cryptroot")
            (type luks-device-mapping))))

  (file-systems
    (cons* (file-system
             (mount-point "/")
             (device "/dev/mapper/cryptroot")
             (type "ext4")
             (dependencies mapped-devices))
           %base-file-systems)))
```

* Re: Stuck at virtual terminal login
@ 2021-04-25 15:13 ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2021-04-25 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon, help-guix

Bone Baboon schreef op di 13-04-2021 om 22:26 [-0400]:
> I am having trouble signing into a virtual terminal.  This issue is only
> happening on one computers I have Guix installed on.
>
> If I follow these steps I can reproduce this issue after multiple
> install attempts.
>
> 1) install Guix
>    https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/guix/guix-system-install-1.2.0.i686-linux.iso.xz
> 2) reboot at the end of the install process
> 3) sign into a virtual terminal
> 4) do a pull and system reconfigure
> 5) reboot the system
> 6) decrypt root partition (keyboard is working)
>
> When I get to a virtual terminal prompt the system seems to go
> unresponsive.

What is the latest output?

> As I type on the keyboard nothing shows up at the login
> prompt.  Alt + function key does not switch to another virtual
> terminal.

When I'm in a desktop environment, Alt + Function key doesn't work
(it does some other things), but Control + Alt + Function key does work.
Maybe something similar is the case here?

Greetings,
Maxime.

* Re: Stuck at virtual terminal login
@ 2021-04-26  5:37   ` Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-26  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxime Devos; +Cc: help-guix

Maxime Devos writes:
> What is the latest output?

The last thing that is output to the screen is:

```
This is the GNU system. Welcome.
<host-name> login: _
```

> When I'm in a desktop environment, Alt + Function key doesn't work
> (it does some other things), but Control + Alt + Function key does work.
> Maybe something similar is the case here?

Neither of these work to switch to another virtual terminal:
* Control + Alt + <function-key> (ex. Control + Alt + F2)
* Alt + <function-key> (ex. Alt + F2)

I am not using:
* graphical environment
** graphical desktop