unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Rotate GDM login screen
@ 2022-05-25 17:47 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2022-05-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello:

I'm running Guix System on GPD Pocket 3 - it's a neat little device. Its
screen is rotated anti-clockwise by 90 degrees by default, so to be
usable it must be rotated by 90 to be used. This is easily achievable
via appropriate kernel argument in system.scm, it rotates it once logged
in.

However the GDM login screen itself is still rotated to the left - an
ignorable nuisance. Anyhow for Debian-based systems, I've found the
solution at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GPDPocket/comments/s9ka7g/my_gpd_pocket_3_linux_setup/

via /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-monitor.conf:

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier "DSI-1"
     Option "Rotate" "right"
EndSection

So, along the lines of solving the GDM screen using proper CJK/Japanese
fonts in
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2022-05/msg00123.html

by using (extra-special-file in system.cfg to construct
/var/lib/gdm/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf what would be the similar
file root to specify this config in an (extra-special-file statement, so
that it'd be picked up on login and GDM would be properly rotated?

As a side note - and might be associated with this - can a small
resolution be specified for just the GDM login screen - because on this
computer the screen is tiny, the resolution big and thus the GDM login
screen is with super tiny font everywhere.

Many thanks for help.
--
Best regards / 宜しく御願い致します / S pozdravem / C уважением / Z poważaniem /
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

白い熊
ShiroiKuma

* Re: Rotate GDM login screen
@ 2022-05-25 18:17 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-05-25 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊; +Cc: help-guix

Hi 白い熊,

白い熊 写道:
> file root to specify this config in an (extra-special-file
> statement,
> so that it'd be picked up on login and GDM would be properly
> rotated?

*Must* it use extra-special-file?  If so, why?  You can try it
 (untested):

  (extra-special-file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-monitor.conf"
                      "Section \"Monitor\" blah blah blah")

and see if Guix's Xorg looks in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d at all.

Instead, what I'd use is (untested):

(services […]
          (set-xorg-configuration
            (xorg-configuration
              ;; You might have a keyboard-layout
              ;; here already, for example.
              […]
              (extra-config "
Section \"Monitor\"
    Identifier \"DSI-1\"
    Option \"Rotate\" \"right\"
EndSection")))
          …)

> As a side note - and might be associated with this - can a small
> resolution be specified for just the GDM login screen - because
> on
> this computer the screen is tiny, the resolution big and thus
> the GDM
> login screen is with super tiny font everywhere.

That I don't know, but it's a similar ‘just create a file in
/usr!’ mess, according to several pages like
<https://misperious.wordpress.com/2019/11/23/gdm-hidpi-scaling/>.

I don't know how to Guixify *that*.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Rotate GDM login screen
@ 2022-05-25 18:54   ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2022-05-25 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

On 2022-05-25 8:17 pm, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:

> Instead, what I'd use is (untested):
>
> (services […]
>          (set-xorg-configuration
>            (xorg-configuration
>              ;; You might have a keyboard-layout
>              ;; here already, for example.
>              […]
>              (extra-config "
> Section \"Monitor\"
>    Identifier \"DSI-1\"
>    Option \"Rotate\" \"right\"
> EndSection")))
>          …)

OK, I'm trying this way - getting:

Backtrace:
            2 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/367pmxg6lks55gm4xdkiz7wn775?")
In ice-9/ports.scm:
    433:17  1 (call-with-output-file _ _ #:binary _ #:encoding _)
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
     241:2  0 (for-each _ _)

srfi/srfi-1.scm:241:2: In procedure for-each:
In procedure for-each: Wrong type argument: "\nSection \"Monitor\"\n
Identifier \"DSI-1\"\n   Option \"Rotate\" \"right\"\nEndSection"

> That I don't know, but it's a similar ‘just create a file in /usr!’
> mess, according to several pages like
> <https://misperious.wordpress.com/2019/11/23/gdm-hidpi-scaling/>.

I'll investigate a possible solution there...
--

@ 2022-05-25 18:59     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-05-25 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白い熊; +Cc: help-guix

That means that extra-config takes a list, not a string.  Add
(list …) around the entire (multi-line) xorg.conf snippet string.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Rotate GDM login screen
@ 2022-05-25 19:04       ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2022-05-25 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

On 2022-05-25 8:59 pm, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
> That means that extra-config takes a list, not a string.  Add (list …)
> around the entire (multi-line) xorg.conf snippet string.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R

Yes, true. So what works - in terms of reconfiguring - is:

             (set-xorg-configuration
              (xorg-configuration
               (extra-config '("
Section \"Monitor\"
    Identifier \"DSI-1\"
    Option \"Rotate\" \"right\"
EndSection"))))

However this doesn't rotate the GDM display - so either the snippet has
no effect (I'll compare it with Ubuntu, what it has to get it working),
or GDM doesn't pick up the extra-config (is that likely?), or maybe I
should try via the special-file. I'll try that and see if it works...

--

@ 2022-05-25 19:21         ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2022-05-25 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

On 2022-05-25 9:04 pm, 白い熊 wrote:

>             (set-xorg-configuration
>              (xorg-configuration
>               (extra-config '("
> Section \"Monitor\"
>    Identifier \"DSI-1\"
>    Option \"Rotate\" \"right\"
> EndSection"))))
>
> However this doesn't rotate the GDM display - so either the snippet
> has no effect (I'll compare it with Ubuntu, what it has to get it
> working), or GDM doesn't pick up the extra-config (is that likely?),
> or maybe I should try via the special-file. I'll try that and see if
> it works...

So the extra-special-file route also doesn't work - meaning surely the
installed x11 does not search for any conf path within the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory as it shouldn't.

Maybe however it'd work thought an extra-special-file in the appropriate
/gnu/store subdirectory where X is installed? Or I was thinking within
the /var/lib/gdm path - that's where the conf file for fonts works and
is picked up by GDM on login. What could it be -
/var/lib/gdm/.config/xorg.conf ?

Also the xorg-configuration extra-config has some effect, as it rotates
the monitor directly after login - it just isn't picked by GDM for
login, so X picks it up when logged in, just no GDM itself.

--

@ 2022-05-25 20:21           ` 白い熊
From: 白い熊 @ 2022-05-25 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

On 2022-05-25 9:21 pm, 白い熊 wrote:

> So the extra-special-file route also doesn't work - meaning surely the
> installed x11 does not search for any conf path within the
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory as it shouldn't.
>
> Maybe however it'd work thought an extra-special-file in the
> appropriate /gnu/store subdirectory where X is installed? Or I was
> thinking within the /var/lib/gdm path - that's where the conf file for
> fonts works and is picked up by GDM on login. What could it be -
> /var/lib/gdm/.config/xorg.conf ?

So figured it out - GDM doesn't seem to honor xorg.conf somehow mostly -
anyhow the GDM rotation can be achieved via kernel-arguments of:
video=DSI-1:panel_orientation=right_side_up

As a side note - I see some ...-xorg.conf.d directories in /gnu/store -
so maybe X gets the conf there. How can I determine which of these the
current system configuration is using - so I could play with the
extra-special-file there?