Hi Guixers, thanks for Your advice Ludo and all other Guixers, for Your information (first time of using gc): After using Guix System for 6 month I did a: "guix gc" It collected about 50 GB and deleted that. (I wanted to do that to get to know how it collects without deleting generations) Than I deleted all generations I did a "guix gc" again and it deleted approx 40 GB again. After that I did a guix pull, guix package -u, sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm and it downloaded approx 2,2 GB of packages. The result of that is, that in future I will do a "guix gc -F20G" in order not to delete too much and later to redownload and rebuild them. Gottfried Am 09.08.22 um 22:18 schrieb Ludovic Courtès: > Hi, > > Felix Lechner via skribis: > >> On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 2:52 AM Gottfried wrote: >>> >>> The manual says that it is dangerous to use: "guix gc" >>> because it can delete too much. >> >> I agree that 'guix gc' deletes too much, but it's probably not >> dangerous. You will just see some downloads and builds repeated when >> reconfiguring later. > > Indeed, it’s not dangerous, and I don’t think the manual suggests that. > > To avoid collecting things just to redownload/rebuild them later, I > usually ask ‘guix gc’ to free up some amount of space, as in: > > guix gc -F20G > > That ensures 20G (more or less) are available on my disk and doesn’t try > to collect more than that. > > Thanks, > Ludo’.