unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Emmanuel Medernach <Emmanuel.Medernach@iphc.cnrs.fr>
To: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>, help-guix <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Trying to replicate guix packages list on another machine
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 16:51:49 +0200	[thread overview]

Le 27/06/2022 à 16:32, zimoun a écrit :
> I guess “guix describe” on ’Machine B’ is not the state specified by
> ’Machine A’.  From my understanding, the easiest workflow is:
>
> machine-A$ guix describe -f channels > state-A.scm
> machine-A$ guix package --export-manifest > pkgs-A.scm
>
> exchange these 2 files (even, it is better that these 2 files are
> versioned with the project itsefl ;-))
>
> machine-B$ guix time-machine -C state-A.scm \
>                  package -m pkg-A.scm        \
>                  -p profile-A
>

> This way, the global state of ’Machine B’ is unchanged; in case you are
> working on several projects at various states in the same time.

Thanks, here is the resulting manifest:

(specifications->manifest
   (list "gsl"
         "pcre"
         "icu4c"
         "zlib"
         "cmake"
         "make"
         "gcc-toolchain@4.9"
         "glibc"))

[Machine B]$ guix time-machine -C ~/.config/guix/channels.scm -- package
-m manifest.scm -p profile-A

building profile with 8 packages...
hint: Consider setting the necessary environment variables by running:

      GUIX_PROFILE="/iphc/home/emederna/profile-A"
      . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"

[Machine B]$ guix package --list-installed  | sort | awk '//{ print $1
cmake@3.19.2
gcc-toolchain@4.9.4
gsl@2.6
icu4c@68.2