unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Guix on Smartphones
@ 2021-01-16 14:54 Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
From: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli @ 2021-01-16 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Good January Guixers!
I write you regarding a curiosity related to the mobile arena.
I was trying to discover an overview of the present requirements to
achieve a Guix System version for smartphones, so i was wondering if
the following were the main points needed for:

a) Hardware:
- ARM architecture (i suppose also Risc-V will be popular)
- Open Source firmware for included components (Wifi, Modem, GPS,..)*
*if there are firmware blobs, they can  be considered safe once they're
properly isolated ?

b) Software Stack:
- reading PureOS experience, they were able to integrate
  existing software which runs fine on both Desktop and Mobile formats
- KDE Neon ?

As you can see, my main question is about a big-picture on having the
chance to run Guix System with GNU/Linux mobile libre-apps/tools on
top.

Cheers,
have a happy hacking,
Matias

* Re: Guix on Smartphones
@ 2021-01-16 16:35 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2021-01-16 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli; +Cc: help-guix

Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli <matias_jose_seco@autoproduzioni.net>
writes:

> Good January Guixers!
> I write you regarding a curiosity related to the mobile arena.
> I was trying to discover an overview of the present requirements to
> achieve a Guix System version for smartphones, so i was wondering if
> the following were the main points needed for:
>
> a) Hardware:
> - ARM architecture (i suppose also Risc-V will be popular)

Guix does support ARM, but the majority of users are X86_64, so that's
where the best guix support likely is.  Perhaps someone using guix on
Arm can comment here.

> - Open Source firmware for included components (Wifi, Modem, GPS,..)*
> *if there are firmware blobs, they can  be considered safe once they're
> properly isolated ?

Guix is a free software distribution.  It will not distribute non-free
components.  These things may be considered safe, but guix will not
ship any non-free firmware blobs.

> b) Software Stack:
> - reading PureOS experience, they were able to integrate
>   existing software which runs fine on both Desktop and Mobile formats
> - KDE Neon ?
>
> As you can see, my main question is about a big-picture on having the
> chance to run Guix System with GNU/Linux mobile libre-apps/tools on
> top.

It's certainly possible to use guix system on a mobile phone.  Has
anyone done it yet?

--
Joshua Branson (joshuaBPMan in #guix)
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: Guix on Smartphones
@ 2021-01-16 18:23   ` Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli
From: Matias Jose Seco Baccanelli @ 2021-01-16 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

Il giorno Sat, 16 Jan 2021 11:35:10 -0500
Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> ha scritto:

> Guix is a free software distribution.  It will not distribute non-free
> components.  These things may be considered safe, but guix will not
> ship any non-free firmware blobs.

I'm very happy to bolster this principle! It's delightful to see many
succesful initiatives from Arduino, SparkFun, LibreCores and OSHWA
alike, that are making a lot of libre
solutions for every piece !

Cheers,
Matias

* Re: Guix on Smartphones
@ 2021-01-16 20:58   ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2021-01-16 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Branson; +Cc: help-guix

Joshua Branson writes:

> It's certainly possible to use guix system on a mobile phone.  Has
> anyone done it yet?

My suspicion is that the easiest target would be the pinephone?

* Re: Guix on Smartphones
@ 2021-01-16 22:42   ` jbranso--- via
From: jbranso--- via @ 2021-01-16 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: help-guix

January 16, 2021 3:58 PM, "Christopher Lemmer Webber" <cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> Joshua Branson writes:
>
>> It's certainly possible to use guix system on a mobile phone. Has
>> anyone done it yet?
>
> My suspicion is that the easiest target would be the pinephone?

That or the purism phone.  Man what a great time we live in.

There are 2 GNU/Linux phones!  :)