unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix home .bashrc query
@ 2021-12-29 12:06 Paul Jewell
From: Paul Jewell @ 2021-12-29 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

I am starting to work with guix home, and after the simple "guix home
import" and guix home reconfigure with the created configuration, I note
that the .bashrc now has the original content from my .bashrc, but
duplicated, with one exception - the check to see if /etc/bashrc is
present before sourcing it has been removed. The aliases referenced in
the configuration file are also added at the bottom (no surprise in this
case - I should just remove them from the copy of .bashrc taken during
the import).

Is this duplication a bug, or have I missed something? I can of course
share the configuration file and the contents of .bashrc if that is helpful.

Thanks!

* Re: guix home .bashrc query
@ 2021-12-29 12:15 ` Paul Jewell
From: Paul Jewell @ 2021-12-29 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 29/12/2021 12:06, Paul Jewell wrote:
> I am starting to work with guix home, and after the simple "guix home
> import" and guix home reconfigure with the created configuration, I
> note that the .bashrc now has the original content from my .bashrc,
> but duplicated, with one exception - the check to see if /etc/bashrc
> is present before sourcing it has been removed. The aliases referenced
> in the configuration file are also added at the bottom (no surprise in
> this case - I should just remove them from the copy of .bashrc taken
> during the import).
>
> Is this duplication a bug, or have I missed something? I can of course
> share the configuration file and the contents of .bashrc if that is
> helpful.
>
> Thanks!

Re-reading what I posted, I think I wasn't clear enough. To be
absolutely clear - when I say duplicated, I mean the original contents
of .bashrc are now in the new .bashrc file twice.

* Re: guix home .bashrc query
@ 2022-01-12 21:46   ` Paul Jewell
From: Paul Jewell @ 2022-01-12 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I have spent some time with this now, and post this for completion
should anyone else have the same query.

The duplication I saw is exactly as expected. The configuration created
by the "guix home import" command includes a home-bash-configuration
section. In this section, there is a field guix-defaults? with defines
whether the .bashrc should be created with the standard guix content.
This defaults to #t, and is not changed by guix home import. The "guix
home import " command also adds a bashrc field which adds the current
content of .bashrc to the end of the default content. Since I hadn't
made any changes to my .bashrc from the standard, this gave me the
appearance of duplication.

If it is appropriate, I would be happy to consider how to adjust the
manual page to make this clearer and to submit a patch. Of course I
recognise that the manual pages for guix home are currently under
development, so perhaps my input wouldn't be so helpful! Perhaps the
"guix home import" command should not add the content of the .bashrc to
the default - in other words the output should have (guix-defaults? #f)
included at the appropriate point?

Thanks to Andrew and the other developers for guix home - I like what I
see! :)