Hi all, Thanks for the info. I like the way user shepherd services work so far. I haven’t used it much yet but it seems to mostly do the trick. The only thing I want is the declarative configuration. By “declarative” I mean configured in config.scm. Do you think there could be a chance of adding a services field to the user record type to create a corresponding Shepherd init.scm for user level shepherd services? - John > On Feb 9, 2019, at 9:34 AM, nly wrote: > > >I would love to see something closer to an event triggered service than forking once and forgetting. > You can use shepherd and herd commands (without sudo). > For example: > $ shepherd [-c config.scm] > $ herd status > > Then configure your `config.scm` as you like. As a default shepherd will use `$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/shepherd/init.scm`, and if the variable is not set then `$HOME/.config/shepherd/init.scm`. > > >It would be awesome if the Guix System could provide a way to configure these declaratively, too. > That can be done by generating a text-file in store containing the desired config then symbolic linking it to `$HOME.config/shepherd/init.scm`. This all can be done using guix daemon(declaratively). > > Though I am not sure how you can 'autostart' the service at boot time and declaratively? > > Cheers > amar > >> On February 9, 2019 1:14:28 PM UTC, John Soo wrote: >> Thanks Chris, >> >> I wasn’t aware of the autostart spec so I took a look. Thanks! After reading it I’m not sure it provides the retry support (among other things) that a user service might provide. I would love to see something closer to an event triggered service than forking once and forgetting. >> >> It would be awesome if the Guix System could provide a way to configure these declaratively, too. I am not saying shepherd would be the mechanism, necessarily either. I just think people - myself included - will probably want this feature. >> >> Thanks again, >> >> John >> >>> On Feb 9, 2019, at 12:48 AM, Chris Marusich wrote: >>> >>> John Soo writes: >>> >>>> Hi Reza, >>>> >>>> I’m not sure this is possible right now. I recently tried making a >>>> service which would need the x display variable and I got stuck right >>>> about when I needed the logged in user. I would love to see it though. >>>> >>>> Does anyone else know? >>> >>> I don't think there's an easy solution that's integrated into the Guix >>> System (formerly known as GuixSD). Instead, the best approach is to use >>> any of "the usual" methods for starting up user processes. For example, >>> you might use the ~/.config/autostart convention: >>> >>> https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/autostart-spec/ >>> >>> -- >>> Chris >> > > -- > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.