unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: swedebugia@riseup.net
To: "Thompson, David" <dthompson2@worcester.edu>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org, help-guix-bounces+swedebugia=riseup.net@gnu.org
Subject: Re: question re. installing software & init system
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2016 20:09:14 +0100	[thread overview]

On 2016-01-01 19:23, Thompson, David wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Miles Fidelman
> <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

snip

>> Does GuixSD respect the LSB, and in particular /usr/local/.... ?
>
> No.  We don't use LSB, nor do we conform to the FHS, because they
> conflict with functional, stateless system management.  Of course, you
> could 'mkdir -p /usr/local' on a GuixSD system and do whatever you'd
> like.  In Guix, all software builds are kept in /gnu/store, and each
> user on the system maintains one or more "profiles" that reference
> some subset of the software available in the store.  This gives each
> user the freedom to use the software of their choosing, without
> worrying about global conflicts with the system or other users.  Thus,
> /usr is obsoleted.

I would like to improve the doc with a section which grafically and
details explain where GuixSD differs from other systems people are used
to.

Here is a start:
GuixSD implements symlinks on a wide scale to succeed in being
functional and transactional.

/bin obsolete (contains only 1 file sh which symlinks to the /gnu/store
(see below)
/boot contains grub without symlinks
/dev as usual
/etc mostly symlinks to files in /gnu/store or /run/current except for
group, passwd, shadow and a few others
/gnu only contains the store which is READONLY to all other processes
than guix-daemon
/home as usual with the differences introduces to make unpriveledged
package management stored in .guix-profile
/mnt as usual
/proc as usual
/usr does not exist unless you create it
/root as usual and contains the system profile?
/run special to GuixSD - it contains a farm of symlinks according to the
operating system description installed by the administrator of the
system (requires root acces to change)
/sys no idea :p
/tmp as usual - guix-daemon uses this extensively when building
derivation so ensure that you have >10 GB if you are going to build
large packages as for example libreoffice
/var as usual - guix-daemon uses this to create the temporary
build-chroots and a bunch of other stuff changed during runtime.

Was this clear enough?

cheers
swedebugia