unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Managing python entry-points to discover plugin package with the new  pyproject-build-system ?
@ 2024-07-11 13:55 Sebastien Rey-Coyrehourcq
From: Sebastien Rey-Coyrehourcq @ 2024-07-11 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi, For my lab i actually manage to package the latest version (existing package on guix are old) of python mkdocs static site generator with mkdocs-materials theme. Mkdocs use a yaml entry to call the theme (here mkdocs-material-theme) to use for the website generation. Both project use a pyproject.toml for pip installation. An example of mkdocs.yml that use the material theme : ```yamlsite_name: my site nametheme:  name: material``` The name entry run/use python entry-points (https://peps.python.org/pep-0621/#entry-points) to detect theme actually installed with pip in the same context. Entry-point is a common way to install/link package as plugin. Even if my homemade package mkdocs-material is well installed and contain the entry-point.txt into dist-info/entry_points.txt that doesn't work. By looking in the build system of python i found some information about that : I package mkdocs-material using the new pyproject-build-system https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/build/pyproject-build-system.scm  My problem is that management of entry-points seems not implemented, as line https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/build/pyproject-build-system.scm#n61 say. Is there a way to implement this outside of pyproject-build-system, only for this project ? Best regards,SR

* Re: Managing python entry-points to discover plugin package with the new  pyproject-build-system ?
@ 2024-07-12  9:47 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-07-12  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Rey-Coyrehourcq, help-guix

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Jul 2024 at 15:55, "Sebastien Rey-Coyrehourcq" <sebastien.rey-coyrehourcq@univ-rouen.fr> wrote:

>          Entry-point is a common way to install/link package as
> plugin. Even if my homemade package mkdocs-material is well installed
> and contain the entry-point.txt into dist-info/entry_points.txt that
> doesn't work.

How is the entry-point installed?  Have you added a phase that run some
“pip” trick?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Managing python entry-points to discover plugin package with the new pyproject-build-system ?
@ 2024-07-12 20:07   ` s.rey.coyrehourcq
From: s.rey.coyrehourcq @ 2024-07-12 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier; +Cc: Sebastien Rey-Coyrehourcq, help-guix

Hi,

Le vendredi 12 juillet 2024 à 11:47 AM, Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2024 at 15:55, "Sebastien Rey-Coyrehourcq" sebastien.rey-coyrehourcq@univ-rouen.fr wrote:
>
> > Entry-point is a common way to install/link package as
> > plugin. Even if my homemade package mkdocs-material is well installed
> > and contain the entry-point.txt into dist-info/entry_points.txt that
> > doesn't work.
>

> How is the entry-point installed? Have you added a phase that run some
> “pip” trick?

No tricks with pip in my actual scm, i only use `pyproject-build-system` which parse pyproject.toml of mkdocs & mkdocs-material (https://github.com/squidfunk/mkdocs-material/blob/master/pyproject.toml#L77).

I read a little more the builder src and i found there is something about entry-points finally :

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/build/pyproject-build-system.scm#n284

But when i run =pip list= after running =guix shell -m mkdocs-material.scm= neither mkdocs or mkdocs-material packages are listed by pip ...

I miss something, after building the package with pyproject-build-system i also need to install it manually from /gnu/store/xxx with =pip install= ? Perhaps my problem is more that than entry-points ?

The mkdocs-material.scm : https://paste.debian.net/1323079/

Best regards,

SR