Hi, thank you very much. You can explain very well. So I have learned a lot. I appreciate your endeavouring. I myself was wondering why > I can’t create a document with: >>> lilypond THE_FILENAME.ly this should create a document, but I believed, what I read. I guess Arne wanted to say something else and I missunderstood him. Because when I tried this command, it really made a pdf. I was wondering, but it was like this. Now I tried again to: guix shell lilypond nano mercurial timidity++ and with cd draketos-songbook I entered the songbook and I saw the songs Arne had created. I saved one song delfini-tune.ly delfini-tune.midi and I was able to save the songbook in my home folder. I think my mistake was that I was already in the songbook folder and I wanted to copy the song book folder and not a file in the songbook folder. Now everything went well except the fact I can’t here the voice of the midi file. I have got problems with midi. my programmes vlc and audacious, audacity can play the midi file but I have no voice. It is silent even I have put it to the loudest possible output. Kind regards Gottfried Am 21.03.23 um 12:06 schrieb Martin Castillo: > Hi, > > I'm just leaving a simle note here. > > Am 21.03.23 um 10:02 schrieb Gottfried: >> I can’t create a document with: >> lilypond THE_FILENAME.ly > > And you are not supposed to. lilypond is not a program to create or edit > .ly files. It is only there to read those files and produce pdfs and > midi files. > > The command > lilypond THE_FILENAME.ly > is used to create a pdf using an existing file named THE_FILENAME.ly > as input! > > Here is a simple figure. Programs are inside bars (|program|) and take > input from the left and output to the right. > > With frescobaldi the data flow looked something like this > |frescobaldi| -> THE_FILENAME.ly -> |lilypond| -> THE_FILENAME.pdf > where the middle parts were invisible to you, because frescobaldi was > made that way, to hide that part. You just interacted with frescobaldi > and used the pdf at the end. > > If you change away from frescobaldi, the middle part becomes visible > (i.e. you have to "do more"): > |nano       | -> THE_FILENAME.ly -> |lilypond| -> THE_FILENAME.pdf > > Now you have to create the file THE_FILENAME.ly explicitly yourself with > some program, possibly nano, and then call lilypond THE_FILENAME.ly so > that lilypond creates the pdf file from THE_FILENAME.ly. > > Now you can replace nano by your favourite (working) editor, so once the > gtk stuff is fixed, you may even use gedit in the future. > > Hope that helps. > > > with which command can I copy the songbook from this guix shell into > my home folder? > > Do you mean the pdf? > I'd guess it already is in your home folder: If you just started your > terminal before executing >  guix shell lilypond nano mercurial timidity++ and the other commands, > THE_FILENAME.ly should be in your home folder (/home/gfp I guess). And > executing > lilypond THE_FILENAME.ly creates the pdf file in the same folder. > > Here is how to copy a file: > cp source.file dest.file > > Example: > cp THE_FILENAME.pdf ~/Dokumente/ > > This will copy THE_FILENAME.pdf to the Dokumente directory. > This assumes THE_FILENAME.pdf is in your current working directory of > your shell. > > > (That just means you're in that directory with the shell. The command > `pwd` prints the current working directory. With cd you can change > between working directories: > $ cd   # this changes to your home directory > $ cd Dokumente  # go into ~/Dokumente, which is Dokumente inside your > home directory > # you can swith down multiple directories at once > $ cd Musik/Noten # go into ~/Dokument/Musik/Noten > $ cd ..  # go one level up, back into ~/Dokument/Musik > $ cd ~/Desktop/Projekt/Musical # jump to Projekt Musical inside Desktop > $ cd ../.. # go two levels up to Desktop > > Note, these examples assume that those directories even exist. If one of > those doesn't, cd will print an Error: > bash: cd: Musik/Noten: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden > ) > > Example 2: If THE_FILENAME.pdf was for example on your desktop, you > could do > cp ~/Desktop/THE_FILENAME.pdf ~/Dokumente/songbook-v0.1.pdf > to copy it to Dokumente and give it a different name at once. > > Martin --