unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* EXWM: file or program not found, ls
@ 2020-12-31 12:41 Olivier Rojon
From: Olivier Rojon @ 2020-12-31 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello everyone,

I am on GuixSD, using EXWM as my window manager.  Though I really
appreciate the way it works, it seems that it does not find many of the
programs which are required for emacs to function properly.

I would like to, but cannot:

  * use dmenu and see (recently used) programs
  * open dired in a specific folder
  * open a file
  * use run-geiser / geiser / guile / mit-scheme / ...

On the surface, most of these problems appear to be of the same nature:
in many cases, the error message is (translated from german)!

"Searching for program: file or directory not found, $PROGNAME", where
$PROGNAME is one of the following:

  * ls (in case of dired)
  * git (open a file)
  * guile (run-geiser / guile)

dmenu is a bit different, because while I can start it just fine via
keyboard shortcut, it finds only two programs, "env" and "sh".

I have been asking several times on #guix if anyone can help me, but was
not able to successfully put what I was told into practice.

Essentially, I was told to "source /etc/profile". I tried to do that for
.bashrc and .profile, but that didnt help, because I dont have similar
problems in the command-line/shell, only in emacs.

Then I was told to "source /etc/profile" from a file such as .xinitrc /
.xsessions, which I tried but which also didnt work because gdm stayed
in place via the system configuration (there has been a helpful HOWTO by
Alex Kost, which I might try as well if nothing else helps).

Before writing, I have experimented with the (extra-arguments '("source
/etc/profile")) in the (xorg-configuration), but this led my system to
not start anymore, so I rolled back.

Any help or pointer is greatly appreciated. I hope I have provided the
necessary information, otherwise feel free to ask.

Thank you guys in advance, so far I am stoked by how great a community
guix is, and how awesome guix itself is :)

Greetings,

Olivier