unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Dual booting
@ 2022-07-28 13:52 Paul Jewell via
From: Paul Jewell via @ 2022-07-28 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Good afternoon,

Could anyone please share a working configuration for dual booting
windows and guix? I have to use windows for work, but use Linux for
everything else. I want to put guix on my work laptop so I can stick
with Linux when travelling (I am self employed, so there are no IT
restrictions on my system). I have the necessary skills to put another
Linux distribution on, but I want to use my spare time in the evenings
when travelling to work on guix. Looking at the bootloader information
in the documentation, it seems that chainloader is not available as an
option.

Many thanks!

* Re: Dual booting
@ 2022-10-11 19:31 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2022-10-11 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Jewell, help-guix

July 28, 2022 10:04 AM, "Paul Jewell via" <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> Could anyone please share a working configuration for dual booting windows and guix? I have to use
> windows for work, but use Linux for everything else. I want to put guix on my work laptop so I can
> stick with Linux when travelling (I am self employed, so there are no IT restrictions on my
> system). I have the necessary skills to put another Linux distribution on, but I want to use my
> spare time in the evenings when travelling to work on guix. Looking at the bootloader information
> in the documentation, it seems that chainloader is not available as an option.
>
> Many thanks!

I wish I could help...but I've got no idea.  :(

* Re: Dual booting
@ 2022-10-12  1:57   ` kiasoc5
From: kiasoc5 @ 2022-10-12  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Jewell; +Cc: help-guix

July 28, 2022 10:04 AM, "Paul Jewell via" <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> Looking at the
> bootloader information in the documentation, it seems that
> chainloader is not available as an option.

Grub supports chainloading as of commit
1fc20e4c86697e9d112b9fed8079334c818dd78e

You can probably add a menu entry to chainload
/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi or wherever the bootloader might be.

* Re: Dual booting
@ 2022-10-12 21:51   ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2022-10-12 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Jewell; +Cc: help-guix

July 28, 2022 10:04 AM, "Paul Jewell via" <help-guix@gnu.org> wrote:

> Could anyone please share a working configuration for dual booting windows and guix? I have to use
> windows for work, but use Linux for everything else. I want to put guix on my work laptop so I can
> stick with Linux when travelling (I am self employed, so there are no IT restrictions on my
> system). I have the necessary skills to put another Linux distribution on, but I want to use my
> spare time in the evenings when travelling to work on guix. Looking at the bootloader information
> in the documentation, it seems that chainloader is not available as an option.

DISCLAIMER: I don't personally use any Windows software, nor do I mean
            to advocate for its use on this mailing list. However, the
            following recommendations should be sufficiently generic to
            apply to any hosted OS that a user wants to install.

Have you considered just installing Guix System as your main OS and then
running Windows in a virtual machine? That way you don't need to reboot
your computer to run non-Linux applications, and you don't have to ever
let Windows out of its little sandbox.

Guix provides numerous options when it comes to setting up virtual
machines. Here are some of the main contenders:

- virt-manager (uses libvirt-service-type)
- qemu
- ganeti
- xen
- bochs

Have fun and happy hacking!
 ~Gary

--
GPG Key ID: 7BC158ED
Use `gpg --search-keys lambdatronic' to find me

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.