unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de>
To: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Erlang + Emacs profile
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2020 00:49:14 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Guix users!

What is your way of setting up a profile for Erlang development?

There are some things I would like to have, some of which I already
managed to get:

  * [X] Erlang installed through Guix package manager in a separate profile
  * [X] `erl` REPL available in that separate profile
  * [X] an Emacs Erlang mode (installed it through M-x list-pack RET and
    searched for erlang there)
  * [_] org-mode babel erlang for literate programming in org-mode,
    using the Guix installed erlang executable – I found
    https://github.com/xfwduke/ob-erlang, which also seems to work, but
    I do not know how to point it to the Guix installed Erlang, so that
    it can actually run code. Currently it complains about not finding
    Erlang. Does anyone know how to point it to the Erlang executable? I
    created this issue: https://github.com/xfwduke/ob-erlang/issues/1

I did not see any separate OTP package on `guix search`. Is this already
included in the `erlang` package or is this missing from Guix package
repositories?

Here is my current manifest.scm file for creating a profile (currently
not much in there):

~~~~
(specifications->manifest
 '("erlang@21.3.8.13"))
~~~~

Note, that Emacs is not in here, because I have it in my global or base
profile. I'd rather not have a separate Emacs for this project, but
simply use the one installed already. I am also aware, that Guix has
packages for Emacs packages, but so far I've always installed those
inside Emacs using M-x list-pack. This probably means, that Guix is not
aware of them being installed, but I had no problems with it so far.

Regards,
Zelphir