unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: 白い熊 <help-guix_gnu.org@sumou.com>
To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Rotate GDM login screen
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 21:21:08 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2022-05-25 9:04 pm, 白い熊 wrote:

>             (set-xorg-configuration
>              (xorg-configuration
>               (extra-config '("
> Section \"Monitor\"
>    Identifier \"DSI-1\"
>    Option \"Rotate\" \"right\"
> EndSection"))))
>
> However this doesn't rotate the GDM display - so either the snippet
> has no effect (I'll compare it with Ubuntu, what it has to get it
> working), or GDM doesn't pick up the extra-config (is that likely?),
> or maybe I should try via the special-file. I'll try that and see if
> it works...

So the extra-special-file route also doesn't work - meaning surely the
installed x11 does not search for any conf path within the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory as it shouldn't.

Maybe however it'd work thought an extra-special-file in the appropriate
/gnu/store subdirectory where X is installed? Or I was thinking within
the /var/lib/gdm path - that's where the conf file for fonts works and
is picked up by GDM on login. What could it be -
/var/lib/gdm/.config/xorg.conf ?

Also the xorg-configuration extra-config has some effect, as it rotates
the monitor directly after login - it just isn't picked by GDM for
login, so X picks it up when logged in, just no GDM itself.

--
Best regards / 宜しく御願い致します / S pozdravem / C уважением / Z poważaniem /
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

白い熊
ShiroiKuma