unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>
To: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: how can I use "tor"
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 17:49:29 +0000	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 4245 bytes --]

Hi Guixers,

I installed "tor, tor-client, torsocks". and
also I have "tor-service-type" in my config.scm.

Nevertheless it doesn't appear anywhere.

I would like to use the Tor server separately, not in Firefox, as Tor
Website proposed.

gfp@Tuxedo ~$ tor
Jul 21 19:30:24.097 [notice] Tor 0.4.7.8 running on Linux with Libevent
2.1.12-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.1q, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.5, Libzstd 1.5.0
and Glibc 2.33 as libc.
Jul 21 19:30:24.097 [notice] Tor can't help you if you use it wrong!
Learn how to be safe at
https://support.torproject.org/faq/staying-anonymous/
Jul 21 19:30:24.098 [notice] Configuration file
"/gnu/store/11azs9lmx363vi1vnz59aim5yp1rv2b9-tor-client-0.4.7.8/etc/tor/torrc"
not present, using reasonable defaults.
Jul 21 19:30:24.106 [notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Jul 21 19:30:24.106 [warn] Could not bind to 127.0.0.1:9050: Address
already in use. Is Tor already running?
Jul 21 19:30:24.106 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to
bind one of the listener ports.
Jul 21 19:30:24.106 [err] Reading config failed--see warnings above.

I guess, I have to set up other things as well, but I don't know what
and how.

I didn't find enough information in the manual that makes it clear to me.
I found that in the manual:

10.8.4 Networking Services

Scheme Variable: tor-service-type
This is the type for a service that runs the Tor anonymous networking
daemon. The service is configured using a <tor-configuration> record. By
default, the Tor daemon runs as the tor unprivileged user, which is a
member of the tor group.

Data Type: tor-configuration
tor (default: tor)

The package that provides the Tor daemon. This package is expected to
provide the daemon at bin/tor relative to its output directory. The
default package is the Tor Project’s implementation.

config-file (default: (plain-file "empty" ""))
The configuration file to use. It will be appended to a default
configuration file, and the final configuration file will be passed to
tor via its -f option. This may be any “file-like” object (see file-like
objects). See man tor for details on the configuration file syntax.

hidden-services (default: '())
The list of <hidden-service> records to use. For any hidden service you
include in this list, appropriate configuration to enable the hidden
service will be automatically added to the default configuration file.
You may conveniently create <hidden-service> records using the
tor-hidden-service procedure described below.

socks-socket-type (default: 'tcp)
The default socket type that Tor should use for its SOCKS socket. This
must be either 'tcp or 'unix. If it is 'tcp, then by default Tor will
listen on TCP port 9050 on the loopback interface (i.e., localhost). If
it is 'unix, then Tor will listen on the UNIX domain socket
/var/run/tor/socks-sock, which will be made writable by members of the
tor group.
If you want to customize the SOCKS socket in more detail, leave
socks-socket-type at its default value of 'tcp and use config-file to
override the default by providing your own SocksPort option.

control-socket? (default: #f)
Whether or not to provide a “control socket” by which Tor can be
controlled to, for instance, dynamically instantiate tor onion services.
If #t, Tor will listen for control commands on the UNIX domain socket
/var/run/tor/control-sock, which will be made writable by members of the
tor group.

Scheme Procedure: tor-hidden-service name mapping

Define a new Tor hidden service called name and implementing mapping.
mapping is a list of port/host tuples, such as:

  '((22 "127.0.0.1:22")
    (80 "127.0.0.1:8080"))

In this example, port 22 of the hidden service is mapped to local port
22, and port 80 is mapped to local port 8080.

This creates a /var/lib/tor/hidden-services/name directory, where the
hostname file contains the .onion host name for the hidden service.

See the Tor project’s documentation for more information.

I read several emails in the guix-help archive about Tor from 2019, but
I don't know how to put that into practice.

Could somebody help me?

Gottfried