unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Thiago Jung Bauermann <bauermann@kolabnow.com>
To: Jaft <wamm_kd_schmelingski@yahoo.com>
Cc: "help-guix@gnu.org" <help-guix@gnu.org>,
	phodina <phodina@protonmail.com>
Subject: Re: Running Out of Inodes
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 00:18:12 -0300	[thread overview]

Hello Jonathan,

Em domingo, 14 de novembro de 2021, às 15:47:54 -03, Jaft via escreveu:
> Out of curiosity, I read that Btrfs requires periodic
> fragmentation; how often do you find yourself doing it and do you use
> any particular program for it (if you don't mind sharing, of course; I
> know it's not directly Guix related)?

I use btrfs for several years now — not with Guix System, though I do have
Guix installed on top of Ubuntu on btrfs so I do have /gnu/store on btrfs.
My experience is that it is zero-maintenance, at least on a personal laptop
workload.

Btrfs has matured a lot over the years, so there’s a fair amount of
outdated advice still floating around on the Internet. You’re probably
thinking of the ‘btrfs balance’ command. In the past, it was useful to run
it every once in a while to avoid spurious ENOSPC errors. This problem has
since been fixed, and current advice is that regular use of “btrfs balance”
is now considered detrimental rather than beneficial since it puts more
load/stress on the disk without any practical benefit.

Thiago