unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: "Jonathan Marsden" <jmarsden@fastmail.fm>
To: "Leo Famulari" <leo@famulari.name>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Another Raspberry Pi data point
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 19:24:36 -0600	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, at 15:21, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 10:34:17PM -0600, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
>> Just knowing that is useful info!  I wasn't sure if it was "supposed" to work.
>> I have not found a list of which aarch64 SBC boards Guix System is supposed
>> to work on.  I'd love to see such a list, if one exists.  Even better If it includes
>> links to a sample working operating system definition file for each board!

> Well, it's supposed to work in the sense that we build kernels and
> bootloaders for aarch64, so Guix should be able to created images for
> that platform too. I'm not sure if the code is supposed to create images
> that match the host architecture, though, or for non-x86_64 at all. We
> may need to do a little more work in this area.

As I understand it, aarch64 SBCs each have their own different, not yet
standardized, boot processes, so unlike common x86-64 "PC" machines, there
is a need for boot definition work that is board-specific. Knowing which SBCs
have been tested and are known to boot Guix System, preferably with a sample
OS definition file, would be valuable.

There is a recent list of 150 Linux-oriented SBCs at

  http://linuxgizmos.com/files/Jan-2021-LG-SBC-Catalog-Rev-A.xls

However it doesn't indicate how well or badly these boards "respect your
freedom", nor whether they can boot Guix System.

At the FSF end of things, the RYF product list doesn't seem to include *any* SBCs
at all, from what I can see at https://ryf.fsf.org/products .  Maybe no SBCs are
sufficiently free to qualify?  It looks like the EOMA68 Libre Taa Computer Card
might qualify.  https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

Is anyone currently booting Guix System on a small single board computer that
they can share info about, and ideally share a sample Guix system OS .scm file
definition for?

Regarding the Raspberry Pi specifically, how can we help with the work being
done at https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44543 ?  Do the folks working on that already
have Guix System booting on a Raspberry Pi ?

Jonathan