unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Help getting started with first contribution
@ 2017-05-08  3:25 André
From: André @ 2017-05-08  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi there, fellow Geeks!

I've been using Guix and GuixSD recently and I'd like to contribute!

I do know both Common Lisp and Clojure, so using Guile shouldn't be a problem.

I'd like to start with small tasks, like adding a few simple packages, then move to bigger packages, then write some services, and so on.

However, I'm not familiar  at all with mailing list workflows (this is the first mailing list I actually subscribed to), so I may need some guidance with that.

I thought about starting by creating a Guix package for git-remote-gcrypt (https://spwhitton.name/tech/code/git-remote-gcrypt/). The package definition should be fairly simple, since the main program is just a shell script with no compilation dependencies.

I've read the section 8.5 "Submitting Patches" of the manual, so I think I'm good to go.

Is there any specific example of a similar simple package that I should base mine on? Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

Thanks in advance,
André.

* Re: Help getting started with first contribution
@ 2017-05-08 20:34 ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2017-05-08 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André; +Cc: help-guix

> Hi there, fellow Geeks!
>

> I've been using Guix and GuixSD recently and I'd like to contribute!
>
> I do know both Common Lisp and Clojure, so using Guile shouldn't be a
> problem.

It won't be. I also learned Clojure before Scheme

> I'd like to start with small tasks, like adding a few simple packages,
> then move to bigger packages, then write some services, and so on.

Good plan. That's what I thought for me too.

> However, I'm not familiar  at all with mailing list workflows (this is the
> first mailing list I actually subscribed to), so I may need some guidance
> with that.

Wow, you must be quite young !

> I thought about starting by creating a Guix package for git-remote-gcrypt (
> https://spwhitton.name/tech/code/git-remote-gcrypt/). The package
> definition should be fairly simple, since the main program is just a shell
> script with no compilation dependencies.
>
> I've read the section 8.5 "Submitting Patches" of the manual, so I think
> I'm good to go.
>
> Is there any specific example of a similar simple package that I should
> base mine on? Is there anything else that I should be aware of?

That's the mailing list for patches

guix-devel is ust for discussions

You might want to use git send-mail instead o your usual email client. It's
not required, but it helps you to make your submission more conformant to
expected formats

Especially if you want to submit a patches series and not a single patch,
that can be very useful.

If your first package is a siingle patch, you can just attach the patch to
an email message to the guix-patches mailing list.

Pay attention to the ormat if the log message (take a look at other log
messages in the git log, here iis a web version
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/ )

Configuring git send-email and possibly GNUs is a whole topic and it
probably beyond my strength right now

When your message (with the attached patch) will be received, someone will
review it and likely suggest modifications

You will reply with a new version (as an attached patch as usual)

When your patch will be ready, someone with committ permission will commit
it for you

When your patch will be committed, you will see it in the git log as
authored by you and signed by the committer who committed it or you

Hope this helps !

> I'm looking forward to being part of this community.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> André.

Welcome !

* Re: Help getting started with first contribution
@ 2017-05-09  2:32   ` André
From: André @ 2017-05-09  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-guix

On 08/05/17 17:34, Catonano wrote:

>     Hi there, fellow Geeks!
>

>     I've been using Guix and GuixSD recently and I'd like to contribute!
>
>     I do know both Common Lisp and Clojure, so using Guile shouldn't
>     be a problem.
>

> It won't be. I also learned Clojure before Scheme
>

>     I'd like to start with small tasks, like adding a few simple
>     packages, then move to bigger packages, then write some services,
>     and so on.
>

> Good plan. That's what I thought for me too.
>

>     However, I'm not familiar  at all with mailing list workflows
>     (this is the first mailing list I actually subscribed to), so I
>     may need some guidance with that.
>

> Wow, you must be quite young !

Not that much, actually. I've been programming for 3-4 years, but mostly
in a GitHub-centric world.

>     I thought about starting by creating a Guix package for
>     git-remote-gcrypt
>     (https://spwhitton.name/tech/code/git-remote-gcrypt/
>     <https://spwhitton.name/tech/code/git-remote-gcrypt/>). The
>     package definition should be fairly simple, since the main program
>     is just a shell script with no compilation dependencies.
>
>     I've read the section 8.5 "Submitting Patches" of the manual, so I
>     think I'm good to go.
>
>     Is there any specific example of a similar simple package that I
>     should base mine on? Is there anything else that I should be aware of?
>

> An immediate reccomendation is to use the guix-patches@gnu.org
>
> That's the mailing list for patches
>
> guix-devel is ust for discussions
>
> You might want to use git send-mail instead o your usual email client.
> It's not required, but it helps you to make your submission more
> conformant to expected formats
Thanks for the tip.

> Especially if you want to submit a patches series and not a single
> patch, that can be very useful.
>
> If your first package is a siingle patch, you can just attach the
> patch to an email message to the guix-patches mailing list.
>
> Pay attention to the ormat if the log message (take a look at other
> log messages in the git log, here iis a web version
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/log/ )
>
> Configuring git send-email and possibly GNUs is a whole topic and it
> probably beyond my strength right now

Thanks, I'll figure out how to configure it properly.
> When your message (with the attached patch) will be received, someone
> will review it and likely suggest modifications
>
> You will reply with a new version (as an attached patch as usual)
>
> When your patch will be ready, someone with committ permission will
> commit it for you
>
> When your patch will be committed, you will see it in the git log as
> authored by you and signed by the committer who committed it or you
>
> Hope this helps !
>

>     I'm looking forward to being part of this community.
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>     André.
>

> Welcome !
Thanks :)

* Re: Help getting started with first contribution
@ 2017-05-12  5:52 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-05-12  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André; +Cc: help-guix

Hi André,

> I've been using Guix and GuixSD recently and I'd like to contribute!

Excellent!

> However, I'm not familiar at all with mailing list workflows (this is
> the first mailing list I actually subscribed to), so I may need some
> guidance with that.

It’s pretty simple: you send an email to guix-patches@gnu.org (you will
get an automated reply with a bug identifier) and wait for someone to
comment.  If you need to make changes you just send email to the bug
address.

> I thought about starting by creating a Guix package for
> git-remote-gcrypt
> (https://spwhitton.name/tech/code/git-remote-gcrypt/). The package
> definition should be fairly simple, since the main program is just a
> shell script with no compilation dependencies.

Sounds good.  You may find that programmes using the GNU build system
are usually the easiest to package.  Sometimes simple shell scripts or
custom build systems make unrealistic assumptions about the system that
they are installed on, which makes the package definition a little more
complicated.

In the case of git-remote-gcrypt, for example, you will need to delete
the “configure” and “build” phases, set the “prefix” in a make-flag, and
create the target directories in an extra build phase.

> I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

We’d be happy to see you join us!

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net