unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: William <willbilly@fedora.email>
To: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: E-mail package
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2024 19:35:29 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, 19 Oct 2024 14:11:52 +0000
gfp <gfp@posteo.at> wrote:

Greetings.

> 1.
> I got to know that Thunderbird spies on us and collects data.

I'm sure everyone would appreciate a source on that statement, given
the history Mozilla has and the fact Thunderbird nowadays is basically
an entire web browser with an email client it wouldn't surprise me if
it collects some sort of opt-out telemetry data by default.

> Is that the same in Icedove, as a one to one copy?
> Or are in Icedove some features abandoned?

Given it's a drop-in replacement for Mozilla's proprietary
software/branding I doubt such behavior would be intended if true.

> 2.
> which graphical E-mail package do you use?
> What would you suggest?

Claws Mail, never gave my any issues. Though I admit it requires much
more manual tinkering than Thunderbird, unlike Thunderbird it takes a
tenth of storage, Thunderbird sits at around +200MiB last time I
checked years back.

> Claws Mail freezes said somebody
>
> Gottfried

I have Claws Mail on multiple desktops one of which includes GuixSD, I
have zero complains about it on Guix other than the lack of spell check
support which I don't miss that much, the package already includes the
GPG plugin as well for private email and signatures if I recall
correctly.