unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: William <willbilly@fedora.email>
To: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Configuring mount for NTFS partition at boot makes the system unbootable.
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:57:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello.

I've been trying for the past few days to get this done properly with
no success.

I have a drive with a partition that is unfortunately formatted on
NTFS, and I'd like to auto-mount it at boot time, since my home user
has several symlinks that point to it.

I've tried defining a file-system entry like this, but the end result
is that on next boot the filesystem is mounted as read-only:

```
(file-system
                         (options "rw,uid=1000")
                         (mount-point "/media/hdd")
                         (device (uuid
                                  "D23AB0C43AB0A73F"
                                  'ntfs))
                         (type "ntfs")) %base-file-systems)))
```

Of course, trying to mount it with (type "ntfs") was the problem, it
only supports reading NTFS filesystems, not writing, then I tried
this:

```
(file-system
                         (options "rw,uid=1000")
                         (mount-point "/media/hdd")
                         (device (uuid
                                  "D23AB0C43AB0A73F"
                                  'ntfs))
                         (type "ntfs-3g")) %base-file-systems)))
```

When running a system reconfigure and mounting this partition with
ntfs-3g, which is FUSE, without rebooting, I can read and write data,
but on reboot the system will fail to boot.

My initial guess is that this may be some
issue with the FUSE kernel module not loading at boot time, but I have
no clue how to add such entry to load it, if this is the problem at all.

Any clues? All help appreciated.