unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* wifi - store credentials
@ 2022-06-02 22:56 Andreas Bauer
From: Andreas Bauer @ 2022-06-02 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I am using sway/wayland as my windowmanager and have managed to get my usb
wifi card
to work on guix with  rtl8812au-aircrack-ng-linux-module.

When I reboot my machine I now need to do the following steps to connect to
the wifi:
1. disconnect the usb cable of the wifi-card. reconnect the usb cable of
the wifi-card
2. run: sudo nmcli device wifi connect "my-wifi-name" password
my-wifi-password

I am very happy that I was able to get so far already (and it was not easy).
But now I would like to have a better way to auto-connect to wifis and
store the credentials.
Can someone explain me how this works? I am not really sure how
network-manager and wpa-supplicant work together,
and if saving of passwords is something that guix supports, or if I have to
add all the passworts to a wpa-supplicant config
into the guix config.

The second thing that I dont get is that when I have setup the wifi card
for the first time, it would not route the traffic throught it, until
I have executed this commands:

iw wlp0s20f0u4 link
ip link show wlp0s20f0u4
ip link set wlp0s20f0u4 up
sudo dhclient wlp0s20f0u4
ip addr show wlp0s20f0u4
ifconfig wlp0s20f0u4
ip route show
sudo ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlp0s20f0u4

I had to do this only once. Now it seems to be saved somewhere.

Thanks!!!

* Re: wifi - store credentials
@ 2022-06-03 12:52 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2022-06-03 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Bauer; +Cc: help-guix

On Fri, 3 Jun 2022 00:56:45 +0200
Andreas Bauer <andreas.wolfgang.bauer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using sway/wayland as my windowmanager and have managed to get
> my usb wifi card
> to work on guix with  rtl8812au-aircrack-ng-linux-module.
>
> When I reboot my machine I now need to do the following steps to
> connect to the wifi:
> 1. disconnect the usb cable of the wifi-card. reconnect the usb cable
> of the wifi-card
> 2. run: sudo nmcli device wifi connect "my-wifi-name" password
> my-wifi-password
>
> I am very happy that I was able to get so far already (and it was not
> easy). But now I would like to have a better way to auto-connect to
> wifis and store the credentials.
> Can someone explain me how this works? I am not really sure how
> network-manager and wpa-supplicant work together,
> and if saving of passwords is something that guix supports, or if I
> have to add all the passworts to a wpa-supplicant config
> into the guix config.
>
> The second thing that I dont get is that when I have setup the wifi
> card for the first time, it would not route the traffic throught it,
> until I have executed this commands:
>
> iw wlp0s20f0u4 link
> ip link show wlp0s20f0u4
> ip link set wlp0s20f0u4 up
> sudo dhclient wlp0s20f0u4
> ip addr show wlp0s20f0u4
> ifconfig wlp0s20f0u4
> ip route show
> sudo ip route add default via 192.168.1.1 dev wlp0s20f0u4
>
> I had to do this only once. Now it seems to be saved somewhere.
>
> Thanks!!!

Not sure what services you configured, I'm also using Sway and i3 on my
Guix machines and the network-manager service just takes care of
everything. Use nm-applet and nm-connection-editor for connecting,
nmcli is for automation, not user-friendly connection setup.
If for some reason you are stuck on a tty (which you aren't, because
you use Sway) then you can use nmtui to connect to most networks,
with the major exception of enterprise WPA2.