unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* nginx refusing connection on port 443
@ 2021-08-26  4:25 crodges
From: crodges @ 2021-08-26  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello everybody,

I'm setting up a guix vps and having some trouble, mainly because I'm getting
used to the guix way. After a few tries, I finally got a let's encrypt
certificate and nginx configured to read it. Problem is, nginx accepts fine
connections on port 80, but when I try 443 I get

curl: (7) Failed to connect to lambdashire.com port 443 after 5249 ms:
Connection refused

My first thought was to open port 443 on the firewall, but I don't know how to
do that and didn't find how to in a few configuration examples I searched. Is
this the right approach, to open the port? If it is, can you please point me
to some documentation so I can try to figure out myself?

First time posting. Thanks.

* Re: nginx refusing connection on port 443
@ 2021-08-30  1:35 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-08-30  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: crodges; +Cc: help-guix

Le Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:25:03 -0700,
crodges <crodges@csphy.pw> a écrit :

> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm setting up a guix vps and having some trouble, mainly because I'm
> getting used to the guix way. After a few tries, I finally got a
> let's encrypt certificate and nginx configured to read it. Problem
> is, nginx accepts fine connections on port 80, but when I try 443 I
> get
>
> curl: (7) Failed to connect to lambdashire.com port 443 after 5249
> ms: Connection refused
>
> My first thought was to open port 443 on the firewall, but I don't
> know how to do that and didn't find how to in a few configuration
> examples I searched. Is this the right approach, to open the port? If
> it is, can you please point me to some documentation so I can try to
> figure out myself?
>
> First time posting. Thanks.

Hi crodges,

Could you share your configuration? Especially the part where you
declare the nginx-service-type? There is a listen field that you should
set to something like:

(listen '("443 ssl http2" "[::]:443 ssl http2"))

of course, you can adapt it to your needs using the Nginx syntax.

* Re: nginx refusing connection on port 443
@ 2021-08-30 15:44   ` crodges
From: crodges @ 2021-08-30 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 6:35:30 P.M. PDT Julien Lepiller wrote:
> Le Wed, 25 Aug 2021 21:25:03 -0700,
>
> crodges <crodges@csphy.pw> a écrit :
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I'm setting up a guix vps and having some trouble, mainly because I'm
> > getting used to the guix way. After a few tries, I finally got a
> > let's encrypt certificate and nginx configured to read it. Problem
> > is, nginx accepts fine connections on port 80, but when I try 443 I
> > get
> >
> > curl: (7) Failed to connect to lambdashire.com port 443 after 5249
> > ms: Connection refused
> >
> > My first thought was to open port 443 on the firewall, but I don't
> > know how to do that and didn't find how to in a few configuration
> > examples I searched. Is this the right approach, to open the port? If
> > it is, can you please point me to some documentation so I can try to
> > figure out myself?
> >
> > First time posting. Thanks.
>
> Hi crodges,
>
> Could you share your configuration? Especially the part where you
> declare the nginx-service-type? There is a listen field that you should
> set to something like:
>
> (listen '("443 ssl http2" "[::]:443 ssl http2"))
>
> of course, you can adapt it to your needs using the Nginx syntax.
Thanks for the reply Julien,

After playing around with it a little more, a reboot, of all things, did the
trick. So problem solved. In any case, I'll leave my nginx configuration here,
maybe someone find it useful.

(service nginx-service-type
	   (nginx-configuration
	    (server-blocks
	     (list (nginx-server-configuration
		    ;(listen '("80" "443 ssl"))
		    (server-name '("lambdashire.com"))
		    (root "/data/www")
		    (ssl-certificate "/etc/letsencrypt/live/
lambdashire.com/fullchain.pem")
                    (ssl-certificate-key "/etc/letsencrypt/live/
lambdashire.com/privkey.pem")
                    (locations
		     (list
                      (nginx-location-configuration          ;certbot
                       (uri "/.well-known")
                       (body (list "root /data/www;"))))))))))

The next thing I'll do is make nginx use only port 443 with ssl. I don't think
it'll be hard, I only need to make sure certbot will like it.