unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* 'guix deploy' installs old version of Guix on Digital Ocean
@ 2021-03-26 18:59 Tim Lee
From: Tim Lee @ 2021-03-26 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I am following this article to manage my Digital Ocean servers using
'guix deploy':
https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/managing-servers-with-gnu-guix-a-tutorial/

However, I notice that the Digital Ocean deployment actually installs
Guix version 1.0.1 (May 2019) instead of the latest version — 1.2.0
(November 2020).

I looked into the source code and found that gnu/machine/digital-ocean.scm
is outdated:
https://github.com/guix-mirror/guix/blob/v1.2.0/gnu/machine/digital-ocean.scm#L198

Is it safe to deploy an old version of Guix, considering the massive
improvements that have taken place over 18 months between May 2019 and
November 2020?

* Re: 'guix deploy' installs old version of Guix on Digital Ocean
@ 2021-03-26 21:54 ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-03-26 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 9:55 PM Tim Lee <progscriptclone@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am following this article to manage my Digital Ocean servers using
> 'guix deploy':
> https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/managing-servers-with-gnu-guix-a-tutorial/
>
> However, I notice that the Digital Ocean deployment actually installs
> Guix version 1.0.1 (May 2019) instead of the latest version — 1.2.0
> (November 2020).
>
> I looked into the source code and found that gnu/machine/digital-ocean.scm
> is outdated:
> https://github.com/guix-mirror/guix/blob/v1.2.0/gnu/machine/digital-ocean.scm#L198

Heh, there's a lot of infection happening this evening (see the other
thread from ilmu)
And now I see where his script variant may be coming from, will the
infection rate be
higher ?

OK now, COVID-related jokes asides, you're right this is outdated.

You could try with just updating the URLs to guix binary tarballs and
tell us if this
still works, or even contribute by sending a patch fixing it.

This should be straightforward.

Contributing doc here:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Contributing.html#Contributing

Tchuss

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: 'guix deploy' installs old version of Guix on Digital Ocean
@ 2021-03-26 22:25   ` Tim Lee
From: Tim Lee @ 2021-03-26 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vincent.legoll; +Cc: help-guix

> Heh, there's a lot of infection happening this evening (see the other
> thread from ilmu)

I tried to reply to that thread, but it appears that my mail did not
reach the mailing list. I am not subscribed to the mailing list, It
appears that I can start new threads without subscribing, but I cannot
reply?!

* Re: 'guix deploy' installs old version of Guix on Digital Ocean
@ 2021-03-26 22:55     ` Tim Lee
From: Tim Lee @ 2021-03-26 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Okay, now my emails are appearing in the archive, but only after I
subscribe to the mailing list. Is that the expected behavior?

From my understanding:
* Anyone can start a new thread by sending an email to help-guix@gnu.org,
  even if they are not subscribed to the mailing list.
* Only subscribers to the mailing list can make replies to threads.

Is that the correct description? Where is this documented?

* Re: 'guix deploy' installs old version of Guix on Digital Ocean
@ 2021-03-26 23:00     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-03-26 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vincent.legoll, help-guix

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 06:25:41AM +0800, Tim Lee wrote:
> > Heh, there's a lot of infection happening this evening (see the other
> > thread from ilmu)
>
> I tried to reply to that thread, but it appears that my mail did not
> reach the mailing list. I am not subscribed to the mailing list, It
> appears that I can start new threads without subscribing, but I cannot
> reply?!

I don't know exactly what is happening for you but, in general, new
email addresses are subject to human moderation on these mailing lists.

Any moderation delays should be cleared up pretty soon.

* Re: 'guix deploy' installs old version of Guix on Digital Ocean
@ 2021-03-26 23:01       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-03-26 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 06:55:18AM +0800, Tim Lee wrote:
> Is that the correct description? Where is this documented?

The moderation of new people on the mailing lists is undocumented and
ad-hoc.

* Re: 'guix deploy' installs old version of Guix on Digital Ocean
@ 2021-03-26 23:13         ` Tim Lee
From: Tim Lee @ 2021-03-26 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

> > Is that the correct description? Where is this documented?
>
> The moderation of new people on the mailing lists is undocumented and
> ad-hoc.

Does this mean that it is possible to participate (i.e. start new
threads and reply to posts) without subscribing to the list?
If so, that would be great because I don't want to receive an email for
every post or receive daily digests; I only want to browse through the
mailing list archives once a month, and occasionally reply to some
threads.

* Re: 'guix deploy' installs old version of Guix on Digital Ocean
@ 2021-03-26 23:46           ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-03-26 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 07:13:13AM +0800, Tim Lee wrote:
> Does this mean that it is possible to participate (i.e. start new
> threads and reply to posts) without subscribing to the list?
> If so, that would be great because I don't want to receive an email for
> every post or receive daily digests; I only want to browse through the
> mailing list archives once a month, and occasionally reply to some
> threads.

Correct, there is no requirement to subscribe. After the first or second
message, new people are no longer subject to moderation. You will only
receive replies to threads that involve you.

* Re: 'guix deploy' installs old version of Guix on Digital Ocean
@ 2021-03-27 15:08 ` Tim Lee
From: Tim Lee @ 2021-03-27 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I found an existing bug report about this problem:
"(gnu machine digital-ocean) installs old Guix"
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/45835
(2021-01-13)