unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Default/global packages for foreign distro
@ 2021-03-16 12:35 Phil Beadling
From: Phil Beadling @ 2021-03-16 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all,

Refering to this section of the manual:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Locales-1

Is it possible in a foreign distro setup to define a set of base packages
in a global profile, set for all users?

I'm trying to avoid having to install a locale for each user account if
possible?

Thanks,
Phil.

* Re: Default/global packages for foreign distro
@ 2021-03-17  1:52 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2021-03-17  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 12:35:25 +0000
Phil Beadling <phil@beadling.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Refering to this section of the manual:
> https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/guix.html#Locales-1
>
> Is it possible in a foreign distro setup to define a set of base
> packages in a global profile, set for all users?
>
> I'm trying to avoid having to install a locale for each user account
> if possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Phil.

Could probably create a profile somewhere and source that from the
default profile scripts or maybe the PAM environment scripts.

Something like:
$ guix package --profile=/var/guix-base-profile --manifest=/etc/guix-base-packages.scm

And add a line like this wherever the environment is set up, which I'm
honestly not sure where it is:
GUIX_PROFILE=/var/guix-base-profile source /var/guix-base-profile

It's important that the variable assignment is on the same line as the
call to source.
Alternatively you could write
export GUIX_PROFILE=/var/guix-base-profile
source $GUIX_PROFILE

which sets GUIX_PROFILE as a side effect, which might cause problems.