unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Can Guix support Zen 2/AMD Ryzen?
@ 2020-11-23 21:37 Jesse Gibbons
From: Jesse Gibbons @ 2020-11-23 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi guix,
I built a guix image for a hardware enthusiast friend to try on his
computers, in part to see how well/completely his more modern hardware
would run guix and if it would be worth commissioning him to build me a
computer. It successfully booted, but the screens turned blank and
didn't show gdm. My friend tried this twice, and the same thing
happened. He tried ctrl+alt+f{1..6} and didn't see anything (though he
has a weird keyboard that requires him to hold a modifier key to enter
any function key). He suggested it might be because his computer has a
Ryzen CPU with the Zen 2 Architecture, which he knows might need to work
around. Since it booted fine, I think it might be more related to his
Nvidia GPU. Is there anything I can do, without resorting to proprietary
solutions, to make a guix image with a desktop at least displays with
his hardware?
-Jesse

* Re: Can Guix support Zen 2/AMD Ryzen?
@ 2020-11-24  2:31 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2020-11-24  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Gibbons, help-guix

I am kind of shooting from the hip here, others may be more knowledgeable than me, but here is my two cents.

As a general rule, any "brand new hardware" (except server grade hardware and Intel hardware) generally needs 3-6+ months before it has good Linux support.  So you may run into issues using the latest and greatest thing.

If you want a good GPU, then you might check out this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-K2020-Low-End-Card   It's a $50 graphics card that works with the libre nvidia driver (nouveau).  I think you have to manually set the clock frequency though...All AMD graphics cards are virtually useless on the Linux libre kernel.  AMD has proprietary firmware, which Linux libre disables.  Nvidia is as bad.  I think the integrated graphics from Intel works fairly well with Linux libre.

I've also run into that booting issue.  I think there is a way to disable fancy graphics rendering during the installer, which is what I had to do, to get guix to run on my AMD APU a few years ago.  Maybe someone here can point out how to do that, because I'm blanking on the specifics.

If you are trying to game on Linux libre, you will probably run into some issues.  :(

@ 2020-11-24  4:20   ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2020-11-24  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: help-guix, Jesse Gibbons

Hi,

Not that I have any solution (sorry...) but a similar blackout happened when I removed the regular linux kernel (using nonguix channel) and tried the native Libre kernel for Guix, some months ago.  I immediately went back to the original Linux...

My PC has both Ryzen CPU and AMD video card.

Cheers,
Yasu

@ 2020-11-24 12:30   ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2020-11-24 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso; +Cc: help-guix, Jesse Gibbons

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 02:31:47AM +0000, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
> I've also run into that booting issue.  I think there is a way to
> disable fancy graphics rendering during the installer, which is what
> I had to do, to get guix to run on my AMD APU a few years ago.
> Maybe someone here can point out how to do that, because I'm
> blanking on the specifics.

The installer uses uvesafb to provide unaccelerated graphics, see

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-guix/2020-04/msg00320.html

Alternatively, here is the installer configuration file, so uvesafb is
only used when needed:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/system/install.scm

Regards,
Florian