* How to use a package with many dependences?
@ 2020-11-15 17:59 Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2020-11-15 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi All,

I'm looking to use the second-gen Matrix reference server --
Dendrite
(https://github.com/matrix-org/dendrite, written in Go).
I was planning on packaging it ... before I discovered it has ~400
dependences which I'd need to package most of
(list here: http://ix.io/2E2l).

If anyone has advice on how to proceed with this (I'd rather not
spend a
weekend packaging dependences) that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Timothy.

* Re: How to use a package with many dependences?
@ 2020-11-15 21:30 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2020-11-15 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On Mon, 16 Nov 2020 01:59:48 +0800
Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking to use the second-gen Matrix reference server --
> Dendrite
> (https://github.com/matrix-org/dendrite, written in Go).
> I was planning on packaging it ... before I discovered it has ~400
> dependences which I'd need to package most of
> (list here: http://ix.io/2E2l).
>
> If anyone has advice on how to proceed with this (I'd rather not
> spend a
> weekend packaging dependences) that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Timothy.

There was a Go importer floating around. AFAIK it has not been merged
yet, but you could try it in a local build of Guix.
Even if you import it, you will still have to inspect each dependency
to make sure licenses are correct, et cetera. Complicated software with
many dependencies simply sucks to package. (and often also sucks to use)

Matrix is sadly quite complicated from what I heard, so... good luck
with that.
At least Go modules are relatively easy to package, even by hand.